Island Packet 31

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Re: Island Packet 31

Post by Hamin' X »

Jimmyt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:55 am We had a nice afternoon of ghosting along under the kite, at about the speed of smell.
:D :D
~Rich---Hamin' X---N7ZH~
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Russ wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:39 am
Sorry for the loss of your mom. Sounds like you have a lot of work cut out for you. My M-I-L is 86 and her house is jammed packed with stuff. We dread the day we have to deal with that house.
Thanks Russ.

Mom was gonna make 96 this December. She lived most of her life on her terms and had a good run up until she had to enter skilled care. My dad passed almost 20 years back from lung cancer. They lived in that house from 1956 up until a few years ago when mom's mobility disappeared. Neither she or my dad threw anything away (I found their first pay stubs...). The house was less than 1,000 sf, but packed from the dirt to the rafters. Both of them stuck "treasures" in old envelopes, matchboxes, etc, so you can't just heave stuff in a dumpster. I'm about 80% through the sorting process. The house is cleaned out and on the market. So, I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now. My sister and brother both live away, but both donated some time to come help me when they could. I also called in a few favors from some of my buds for the heavy lifting tasks.

Hopefully, you will have help when the time comes.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi JimmyT

:cry: :cry:
So very sorry to hear of your loss…
Both our parents are gone and it is a difficult feeling to deal with… or to put words to…

Our heartfelt condolences 💐 to you and your family as you work your way through the myriad of feelings… :| :|

Glad you have siblings to help at least in a limited way in going through the momentos of life left behind. From our own experiences it’s not an easy task… it is hard emotionally, mentally and emotionally.

I am probably as guilty of keepsakes… that ok’d paystub pile, the boxes of photos, the books 📚 of study/reference/documentation/sketches, the old puzzle piece 🧩, the scrap of colored paper from a child, the pretty rock once entrusted to you by a child, a seashell 🐚… the remnant evidence of life - time - moments that a person - parent holds on to that will utterly befuddle & baffle those tasked with sorting through them… I’d better start cleaning it all up! :o :wink:

“Every life is a prize winning best selling novel if but one took the time to write it,” was a phrase left echoing in memory from an English Composition teacher from High School, “live your’s as if matters”.

Our thoughts are with you.

With our Condolences 💐
Over Easy
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Thanks OverEasy! Appreciate the kind words.

Appears you and I are cut from the same cloth. It is an emotional roller coaster ride of happy memories and sorrow. And I too have trouble tossing out the odd shell or child's handprint painted on a coffee filter...

Sorry guys. Didn't mean to throw a pity party. I've got to get cranked back up on my galley table rebuild, and get the furniture moved that has the boat hemmed in... Life goes on. :)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Yes, yes it does…..
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Not so much a trip; but more of a journey. After spending yesterday rebuilding his finger pier at his home club, we got up this morning and moved the Packet from Mobile Yacht Club to Buccaneer Yacht Club. Short trip by motor/motor Genoa. Fairly choppy and breezy, but this was our best shot, tide and weather-wise, before the end of the month. Beautiful morning. Successful trip. My buddy is getting the prop walk docking maneuver down, which the crew (me) greatly appreciates. Man-handling a 26M is a whole lot easier than trying to redirect a Packet.

Brief moment of angst for my friend when the diesel rpm dropped for no apparent reason. We unfurled the Genoa for backup and were out far enough to fall off to a broad reach out of the channel. We motor-sailed for a bit while the diesel was trying to digest whatever the choppy ride stirred up. After a couple of minutes, the rev's came back up and all was good. We tacked and headed toward the home club - leaving the Genoa up just in case. I was a bit concerned about the yacht club channel depth as we were about a foot off of high tide and the channel needs dredging at the entrance. Also, once you're in, you have a choice of hitting rocks to either side if things go bad. So, captain is calling the depth as we come in; 5.8, 5, 4, 3.8 (crap, we draw 4 :cry: - waiting for the quick stop :| ), 3.2 :? ... Never felt a bump, never slowed. He says, "well I guess the PO didn't calibrate the depth... really? :wink: After getting over the hump, the depth fell back to my comfort zone and we docked easily. I would say it looked like we knew what we were doing, but nobody would believe that. :D

Really appreciated the big dodger. We took a good bit of spray over the bow on the way out.

Great start to the day with good company and an early morning boat ride. 8) Some pics for those of you that actually have seasons.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo