Blue Sea Systems DC Voltage

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Blue Sea Systems DC Voltage

Post by dlandersson »

Friday my Blue Sea Systems DC Voltage light was working. :cry:

Today while putting up my boat I noticed it's not - the electricity is still charging the batteries - battery charger still works.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting, etc.?

JohnnyP
Deckhand
Sailboat: Venture 2-24

Re: Blue Sea Systems DC Voltage

Post by JohnnyP »

The only way to determine cause is to get your voltmeter and start prodding...
Start at your battery and ensure you're at or near 13V DC (A battery accepting a charge will be >13V; a good battery at rest should read between 12.5V-12.9V). If you're below 12V, there's a major problem with either your battery or your charging system.
Next, barring any issues from the prior step, look over your main fuse panel and verify that all of your fuses are still operational: if any are blown, replace and check your on-board Volt reader; if it lights up, then you're good! If not, move on to the next step.
Locate the battery leads in your main panel and verify the Voltage matches what you read at the battery (they should be identical: any drop in voltage or no voltage would indicate there is a short/break in the leads somewhere between the panel and the battery. Check and replace the wire leads as needed, if so)
If all is good there, then I would pull your voltmeter and, using the continuity setting, make sure that the device is still good. It's quite possible the device has failed between now and the last time the boat was splashed.
Finally, if everything above passes the sniff check, then the last, and most tedious troubleshooting step I would undertake would be to inspect each individual wire and its connectors for corrosion, breaks, or accidental disconnects. Again, replace as necessary and recheck.

YouTube is chock full of information on how to maintain a marine 12V electrical system, though all 12V systems are more or less the same. There are also many excellent guides out there on how to properly use one's voltmeter - it is absolutely necessary to keep one in your toolkit and a backup stowed somewhere watertight. I own four such devices and keep one in my house, my shop, my RV, and my boat.

Good luck!
John Pastore
1973 Venture 2-24
NW Connecticut
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

All of the above is good information, including checking fuses. That might be the simplest check before you delve into more laborious action.
Ray ~~_/)~~
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I;m thinking since the rest of the system is still working, I just need to replace this component - if I can find a replacement 8)
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Does the unit contain an internal fuse? If no, then, proceed to replace the unit.
Ray ~~_/)~~
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Since that specific unit isns't sold any more (I even looked on ebay), anyone know of a drop in replacement? 8)
NiceAft wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:00 pm Does the unit contain an internal fuse? If no, then, proceed to replace the unit.
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

This may seem obvious, but did you try contacting Blue Seas directly? If anyone would be able to answer your question, it should be them.
Ray ~~_/)~~
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Not yet. I figures there was an excellent chance someone here would be "been there, done that". 8)
NiceAft wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:54 am This may seem obvious, but did you try contacting Blue Seas directly? If anyone would be able to answer your question, it should be them.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

NiceAft wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:54 am This may seem obvious, but did you try contacting Blue Seas directly? If anyone would be able to answer your question, it should be them.
Hi Ray
Sept 9th Mmm r u feeling 72 yet :D :P

I,m still younger than U ! :wink:

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

do u still have the installation manual check & see if their is a pinhole in the front or back these r usually reset buttons u simply open up a small paper clip insert into the hole & hold for about 5 seconds , if the boat has DC voltage I,d check to see if their is DC voltage reading at the rear connections of the unit first

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

dlandersson wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:49 am Not yet. I figures there was an excellent chance someone here would be "been there, done that". 8)
So whats the verdict did u find a problem ! , or r u just keeping us all in suspense!!! :P
Looks like these unit,s r still avail & all kinds of other makes for sale on Amazon

J 8)
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Unscrewed it, cleaned it, put it back. It's working. 8)
Highlander wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:50 pm
dlandersson wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:49 am Not yet. I figures there was an excellent chance someone here would be "been there, done that". 8)
So whats the verdict did u find a problem ! , or r u just keeping us all in suspense!!! :P
Looks like these unit,s r still avail & all kinds of other makes for sale on Amazon

J 8)
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Advanced Electronics Trouble Shooting Guide
1 - Is it “ON”? ==> if “YES” then no problem / if “NO” then turn it “ON”
2 - If it is still not working when turned “ON” then make sure it is plugged “IN”
3 - If it is still not working when turned “ON” and plugged “IN” then make sure the circuit is “LIVE”
4 - If it is still not working when turned “ON”, plugged “IN” and the circuit is “LIVE” then “REMOVE & REINSTALL”
5 - If it is still not working when turned “ON”, plugged “IN”, circuit is “LIVE” and unit has been “REMOVED & REINSTALLED” do it all again
6 - If it is still not working it’s time for a beverage
7 - If still not working have Spouse do all the above
8 - If still not working it’s time for a beverage with Spouse
9 - If still not working set it aside and have romantic evening with Spouse
10 - If working, turn it off and have romantic evening with Spouse