Raymarine Axiom 7-RV MFD with RealVision Transducer

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
adudinsk
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Raymarine Axiom 7-RV MFD with RealVision Transducer

Post by adudinsk »

Ahhh.. did not realize about the tablet..
Good point.

Thanks for the info

AD
Duquette5
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by Duquette5 »

Starscream wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:59 am Does anyone have any comments or advice in drilling a 1" hole through the transom to pass the transducer cable? I already have a 5/8" hole from the previous cable, and I'm planning to fill it temporarily with some light epoxy so that I can re-drill a 1" hole for the new connector.

The new cable is maybe 1/4" diameter but the connector is a full inch.

Should I sheath, or wrap, the cable where it passes through the transom and then fill the rest of the hole with thickened 105 epoxy?
I know you already mounted yours. But in case anyone comes here looking for an answer. A popular trick is to mount the transducer in the bilge. You lay down a bed of silicone, place a length of 60# mono across one end (to use as cutter if you need to pull the transducer), place the transducer down and give it a wiggle to seat it. Then cover the transducer with silicone. The key is making sure you have the transducer bedded well in the silicone and covered good as well. So far 3 years of use with my Raymarine a78 and 0 issues on my :mac19:
Dukling :mac19:
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Does that work thru the water in the ballast? And are you using a RV transducer?
Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Starscream »

I would have much preferred to mount it inside, and I thought about doing that. I searched the net far and wide to find out if an RV transducer would work in a bilge-mount configuration. Zero documented installations, and the manual didn't have any indication that it was possible.

I really wanted the RV capability so I decided not to be the first with an RV bilge-mount, just in case. It's a real brick hanging off the back, though.

The installation is complete, and operational, but not tested yet. Raymarine fixed the remote connect app so it works again, so that's good.
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Also wondering.. the RV thru Hull transducer can be mounted in a PAIR...
They (raymarine) recommend in front of the dagger board/keel so there is no interference.
Anyone looked into it... and what that would take?
(yeah.. i know.. more $$$)
But then you could mount on the outside of Port/Starboard sides of the 26M ballast..(??)

AD
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Also does the transom mount version of the 7RV get its image blocked by the dagger board..???

AD
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Hey Ad,

I've only turned the transducer on once in the water so far, for only a minute or two. The centerboard was down, and I didn't see any indication of a blockage. I'll look into that more the next time I go. I was able to confirm that depth and temp were working, and that it produced an RV display of the muddy bottom of my marina. Nothing really to look at other than the weeds starting to grow.

With regards to the PAIR idea, do you mean two transducers? The Axiom 7 only has input for 1, so a dual transducer system would either require multiple MFD's or a larger dual-input device. I don't see any real use for a pair anyway, tbh.

The RV is a BIG transducer. I have it between the boarding ladder and the motor, and I'm afraid a guest will use it as a step.
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Yes.. raymarine has an option to couple 2 transducers..

They have a "Y" cable that allows you to connect 2 thru-hull sensors.
Manufacturer Part No: A80478

Doe some boat types the recommend 2 bronze thru-hull units, connected with the above cable.. then one connection to the display.
?

If yours works fine.. With at Transom mount, I will go that route.. (soooo much easier.)

Please let us know your results.

AD
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

The RV looks good.

You can zoom in with two fingers, and rotate the view to any angle with one finger.

It doesn't see the centerboard. I didn't add the widgets when I took the photo, but have since added temp, sog, and battery voltage. There are a lot of options.

The marina manager came by and told me about the other Mac n our marina, a blue 26M, that had taken on water and was rescued at the last second by closing the ballast valve...sounds like a cracked ballast tank.
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

And that's with the Center board down!!!
DANG.. I need an Axiom + .
VERY cool.

AD
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Loving the Axiom / Autopilot combo. Still getting used to it. The P70 can now display speed, depth, water temp, or whatever else you want, and the Axiom7 can control the autopilot. It's nice to have a network, especially when any tablet or phone can tap into it and control the MFD.

Checked the anchor alarm, and that works great.

Today was a nice sail, 15 degrees of heel, 4 to 5 knots, tacking through 120 degrees into a 1.5 knot current.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Starscream wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:32 pm
The marina manager came by and told me about the other Mac n our marina, a blue 26M, that had taken on water and was rescued at the last second by closing the ballast valve...sounds like a cracked ballast tank.
That's interesting. I never leave it open. Another possibility is the vent was left open and water came in there.
--Russ
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

if ur boat is heavily loaded & u leave the ballast tank gate valve open & the vent plug out unattended the catch basin will overflow & fill the boat with water , I believe I read that somewhere in the 26M manual , Yep page 13 do not leave the gate valve & vent plug open unattended ! , I also believe Roger mentions this in the Video !
So beware !!!, likely they drained the ballast & forgot to close the gate & vent plug :o
J 8)
Lokibuster

Post by Lokibuster »

Starscream wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:20 pm
The Axiom 7 recognized it right away, of course, and now I have depth and temp. Looking forward to checking out the realvision sonar.
Uh oh. My newly installed Axiom+ 7 RV doesn't seem to 'see' the attached transducer, or maybe user error. Any tips on how I verify that it's all good? Can I even verify this while the boat's sitting on a trailer out of the water?
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Lokibuster wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:50 am
Uh oh. My newly installed Axiom+ 7 RV doesn't seem to 'see' the attached transducer, or maybe user error. Any tips on how I verify that it's all good? Can I even verify this while the boat's sitting on a trailer out of the water?
That's odd, mine just knew it was there as soon as it was powered up. Besides the obvious like checking the transducer connection into the back of the Axiom, I don't have any good advice.