Macgregor 25 power options

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
RanaSails
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Macgregor 25 power options

Post by RanaSails »

I just acquired a 1982 Macgregor 25, and once I figure out why it fills up with water, I want to buy an outboard for it.

I have two questions: 1. What is the best size outboard for this hull? 2. where do you store the gas tank so fumes do not fill the hull? There is a trap door in the cockpit but it opens directly into the inside hull of the boat. I do not want gas fumes inside the boat.

Thanks for helping a newby sailor.
topcat0399
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 2-24

Re: Macgregor 25 power options

Post by topcat0399 »

The max hp rating for these boats is 10 HP I believe.

I have a 15 hp long shaft and its too much motor and someday
I will get something more like an 8 hp extra long shaft.

A long shaft (20") motor is essential and an extra long shaft (25") even better.
Run of the mill outboards of this size are usually 15" shaft.

The "best size" is debatable, some people want extra wasted weight/HP for piece of mind
and some people get around fine with an electric trolling motor and everything in between.
Depends on what your boating plans might be.

Lots of folks just put their gas tank on the cockpit floor.
When I bought my wreck the PO kept the tank inside the lazerete locker (inside the boat at the far tail)
I hated that for same reason as you. I put a small swim platform on the transom for mine.
Has worked our really well.

Good luck find all of your leaks, I've been fighting that battle for years. Most come from above...

Welcome to the old boat club

Thick crust extra sauce extra cheese Italian sausage pepperoni and lots of onions delivered chip chop please.
-Lake Petenwell, WI
-1973 Macgregor Venture V224 (iron keel - Yea!)
-1978 Evinrude 15 Long Shaft Electric Start
Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Freedom77 »

What TOPCAT said: Have Honda 7.5 longshaft, 4 stroke, good on gas. Honda 8HP is newer version. Plenty of power to get out of tight spots. Remember three things to remember with a sailboat. WEIGHT, WEIGHT, WEIGHT... The less weight you have on the stern the better. :D
OLD SALT
Freedom77
First Officer

Post by Freedom77 »

Let us all know why your taking on water???? :(
OLD SALT
Freedom77
First Officer

Post by Freedom77 »

NO ANCHOVIES!!!!!! :|
OLD SALT
Freedom77
First Officer

Post by Freedom77 »

I keep fuel tank on cockpit floor. Putting tank in lazerette is a NO NO!!! Fumes + spark = disaster. A fire at sea can ruin your day. Saw boat burned to the waterline. I went to restaurant supply house and got heavy duty bus tub to fit 3 gal. tank. Keeps tank off cockpit floor and contains any spills.
OLD SALT
DragonflyMac25
Just Enlisted

Post by DragonflyMac25 »

Gas tank on cockpit floor here but am considering platform off then stern or making a box/platform for the cockpit for it. Probably will just continue with it on the cockpit floor though. It bothers me there in concept but functionally it has not caused any problems for us with 2 or 3 people on board.

As for outboard, I went with a Tohatsu 6hp sailpro extra long shaft. Not too heavy, sips gas, 4 stroke so no mixing, pushes her along well with throttle to spare. Also is a small single cylinder and easy to pull start.

I WANTED a 9hp electric start 2 cylinder but honestly the 6hp has been great and the advantages of the 6 hp outweigh the few things I did not get with it.

Use case wise, so far, I have only been out on a freshwater lake. Pretty smooth. I still think it will be good in heavier conditions and hope to find that out next year on the Potomac and Chesapeake.
steve4
Deckhand

Post by steve4 »

I've got the Tohatsu 5hp Propane SailPro and LOVE IT!!

One bit of caution though, don't trust the screw on the back that adds resistance to the tiller to hold that motor in place. Tohatsu sells a part that you have to get your dealer to order for you (it's like $25) that bolts on to hold the thing squared up so you can steer with the rudder.