That Sinking Feeling: Water coming in

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: That Sinking Feeling: Water coming in

Post by OverEasy »

Congratulations 🎊🎉🍾
Ya found dit! :) :D :) :D
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

The promised update:

We found the problem: The previous owner had installed a drain plug, as can be found at the bottom of the transom on most small boats. He drilled a hole, and installed the plug with some self-tapping screws and a bit of sealant. If you know the boat, there is a well in the lazarette built around the rudder post. This well--fiberglass--would have kept the water from coming in, but it also kept his drain plug from letting water out. So he drilled a 1" hole in that too.

When the sealant deteriorated, by my guess about July 17 last summer, water started coming in.

Last weekend we pulled the boat out, and applied some 3m 5200 around the plug mounting on the outside, and partially sealed the hole on the inside. This is a temporary fix, and it seems to be working. In the fall, I will remove the plug and fiberglass over the hole for a permanent fix.

--john
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

John,

If you intended to removed the plug, you should have used 4200. You may have a difficult time with the 5200. If the 5200 is working, maybe not doing more to the plug is advisable :?:
Ray ~~_/)~~
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

I considered both those things. Regarding the 5200, I tend to take the view that I will win all material battles because I can escalate in tools. This arrogance, of course, is what brought down Icarus.

Regarding leaving the sealant alone if it is working, I agree with you. I may not have described it well, but there are in fact two holes: 1) the external hole, where the plug was installed, and 2) the internal hole in the well around the rudder post. If the repair holds through the season, I can certainly leave the outside as-is and fiberglass the internal hole.

--john
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

I'm just glad you found it, and it isn't too complicated to fix. 8)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Interim!

Glad you found it and we’re able to stop the leakage.
Given the fuddled nature of the PO mod adding the plug in the first place it might be best to just remove it and any vestiges altogether.
It sounds like there is an outer hull penetration and an additional separate inner structure layer.
Patching both penetrations would seem to be the best way to go.
That way in the future if someone inadvertently ‘pulls the plug’ and doesn’t replace it the boat doesn’t experience this problem again by leaking into that interspace area.

As always, “Your boat - Your rules!”

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈