Propane bottle location

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
ris
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Propane bottle location

Post by ris »

Was just wondering how others carry their propane on the boat. I know some use alcohol stoves. So with no sailing stuff, here is a pic of where we carry ours. It has only fallen over 4 or 5 times. It is tied by that thin steel cable that is locked on the last life line corner stanchion so it never falls far it just kind of leans. The propane line is the highest of the hoses and cables coming out of the 3 inch rubber grommet. When going on big water like gulf of Mexico or Great lakes we suspend it right above the cable grommet with the steel cable if weather looks not so great. The bottle is aluminum and I think it contains a little over a gallon. Lasts us about 1.5 months when using ever day.

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Propane bottle location

Post by NiceAft »

We don't have the need which you do.

We keep three canisters in a bag suspended from the mast arch. It works for us.

We use them either when we use the barbecue on the port aft rail seat, or for the two burner range in the galley. Either way, only when the motor is not in use. :evil:

Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Ris & NiceAft

We’ve seen a nice set-up on a couple boats where the spare propane tanks are the smaller squat Coleman type cylinders which are kept in a double capped section of PVC pipe and mounted to the rear railings or the back of the center hinged seat.
Some hold only 2 bottles per tube, others hold three.

Makes a nice weather tight storage area that is out of the way but still accessible.

If we were to use propane it would be a nice simple arrangement to replicate.
Most all Marinas prohibit open flames for any location (inside & outside).
We utilize a little plug-in electric induction burner when on shore power.
We are getting set up with a small microwave as well.
Our plan is to go with a full sine wave inverter and gen system to allow us to use them when moored out.

The aluminum tall cylinder is nice but I think you could secure it better than with just a lanyard…
Could I possibly suggest a section of irrigation pipe of sufficient diameter and a pair of hoop clamps to the stern face corner?
That way the tank could just drop in, not bang about and be shaded from the sun and weather.

Just a suggestion.

Your Boat/Your Rules

Best Regards
Over Easy
😎😎🐩🐈

PS: Nice Aft - We like your “pot holders” 👍
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

We’ve seen a nice set-up on a couple boats where the spare propane tanks are the smaller squat Coleman type cylinders which are kept in a double capped section of PVC pipe and mounted to the rear railings or the back of the center hinged seat.
Some hold only 2 bottles per tube, others hold three.
The weather proof satchel we use is hanging from the mast support arch over the captains seat on the M. It is high, and out of the way. It holds three of the Coleman one pound canisters. The short fat ones.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I used PVC tube method.

https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/index ... em&id=1933

The mod to this was I cut a long notch the length of the tube so I can use my finger to lift the bottles out.
--Russ