Galley Modifications (Planning Phase)

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Sheppie62
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Galley Modifications (Planning Phase)

Post by Sheppie62 »

So my wife and I have been looking at all the different galley modifications shown on the site. Got some good ideas, got some questions. Here is sketch I drew with my finger on the iPad for our 26x. Countertop is raised 5” higher than original. (Not to scale), purple is original galley, yellow is new drawers, red is toaster oven and microwave, blue windows, and green ceiling
Thinking of using (6) stainless steel posts to support upper shelf with flanges welded on post ends, sandwiching the shelf material (bolted thru) and a horizontal bar on top with mesh of some kind to hold smaller items from falling. What are the choices of material to use for the countertop and shelf themselves? I think I want a lip on all edges to keep stuff from sliding off and strengthen it as well. What thickness could be used? It will be holding up a very small toaster oven, small microwave, original alcohol burner, and a 15”x 17” stainless under mount sink. Would like to keep weight down as much as possible, braces under countertop material could be done as needed with stainless steel, wood or countertop material. Ideas are greatly appreciated.
Sheppie62
First Officer

Galley Cabinet

Post by Sheppie62 »

The galley cabinet would have a removable bottom shelf (for access for more storage on boat hull floor),see picture. The upper shelf would be fixed in place with a lip to prevent items from sliding off. Thinking of cutting original cabinet face out, all but the perimeter 2” ?, and if possible install (3) dark plexiglass sliding panels so all could be slid to one side, or the other, or 3 across evenly to enclose completely
OverEasy
Admiral

Re: Galley Modifications (Planning Phase)

Post by OverEasy »

Looks nice just as you described Sheppie62!

You have some good ideas!

Might we suggest making a ’paper doll mock-up’ or two to try out your ideas before committing to something solid.
A lot easier to try different ideas on paper and with card stock than with wood, fiberglass, pvc board or stainless to see what works for you and what you are wanting to accomplish while on the water.

We used nice removable plastic baskets instead of built in drawers and capture lips.
Saved construction and allows for easy reorganization when desired.
Also allows us to bring the baskets into the house to preload/empty before/after trips.
We skipped the plexiglass doors in our design process as in mock up (with cardboard) they proved to be awkward and got in the way.

We also added a raised top like you mentioned of about 5 inches and a split top to access the interior which has a 4 inch recess below the original galley lip. Much more comfortable to use and work from than the original.
This stores all the cookware and single burner induction cooktop.
We opted for the no open flame approach as we are planning on using a slip, batteries with inverter, outboard engine charging and on longer journeys a small gasoline inverter generator of about 2000 watts.

The two together batteries are dual purpose start/storage marine type and provide enough juice through the inverter to boil about 8 separate gallons of water before going flat. Single battery does about 3+ separate gallons of boiling water. More than enough for a couple meals and a pot or two of coffee or tea.

We initially held off on the microwave and convection oven but allowed space either over the battery compartment located in the seat aft of the galley on our Mac26X, or on the bench forward of the galley. A third possible location is on the dinette table wall. (We just discovered an ‘All-in-One’ mircwave/convection/air fry/regular-bake/broil oven which has changed some of our next step concepts. So it’s something of a TBD at the moment for us…..🤔🤔🙄🙄

Please keep us posted on your progress!
We have felt that the galley mod was one of the best mods we could have done to make our 70 night live aboard stay on Lake Champlain so comfortable. Doubt we would have felt that way with the original galley and alcohol stove ( note: many marinas ban open flame cooktops inside as well as outside when in their marinas).

That was us and everyone should have the galley they want! It’s your boat :) :) .

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
(Our posting of our galley mod is in the modification topic forum as well as our Journey postings and in the “Mods” section if interested)
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Here’s what it looks like so far. I’m planning on moving batteries and the charger forward. The colored drawing is an idea to make bins with fold up lids on inside half of the covers. Would have 3 walls extending up/ enclosing each hatch area don’t know what material to use yet, maybe a stiff rubber foam mat (I have a kayak with a wall glued in it like that) cut to contour of boat and glued in. Shelf/ lid material ? I forgot I was supposed to put a fresh water tank there :P maybe in front of that area. Wife and her storage come first, at least if I want her to cook for me. :D

Image Image

Image[/url

[url=https://postimg.cc/RNgLmw5k]Image

[
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Sheppie62!

Really like your solution to chess to the fwd bench storage area! The two large hatches are perfect!

We found that when we placed or Coleman thermonic cooler chest on the bench Iraq’s an almost ideal height to extend our raised height galley top but it eliminated any practical access to use the fwd bench for storage!

They say that imitation is the sincere appreciation of a good idea…. So we might be making clone of your idea 💡in the coming months! :) :)

You might want to take a look at your static balance when placing your water tank and avoid the issue I made when adding the A/C to the same side as the dual batteries and galley and cooler. I was able to compensate the slight list to port by rearranging our cargo bin locations in the aft berth but it wasn’t an ideal long term solution. (Will probably move the A/C to the other side or add two more batteries behind the head enclosure…🤔… still thinking about it).

Still, the hatch covers to the fwd galley bench are a great idea!

It has given us renewed motivation to adding something similar to our fwd and aft dinette benches.

With the fiberglass tub insert into the aft dinette bench there is about 4+ inches of side space available between the bin and the bench sides that could be utilized for storage of canned goods & etc…

While the fwd dinette bench can be accessed through the top cover a side access to the companionway might be more convenient, especially if that access incorporated a pull-out bin/drawer….🤔

Somewhere along the way one of our POs installed speakers into the flotation chambers on either side of the anchor locker in the bow. We don’t use the soeakers and some of the flotation was removed… Thinking we might replace them with water tight hatches and sealed storage bins for dry goods.

Again, nice layout, storage and access! 👍
BTW: The battery light switch plate light is genius!

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Sheppie62
First Officer

Bamboo coutertop

Post by Sheppie62 »

Think I’m going to check price of a 4x8 sheet of bamboo plywood tomorrow. Might use it for new countertop and shelves.
adudinsk
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by adudinsk »

Looks nice! real good work!

?Where are you putting the "keg-a-rator"
:D

AD
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

They do make “mini kegerators” …..jus sayin’ :D :D
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Case of tall boy cans in the cooler no fuss , mess, foam , or clean up & all recycled
J 8)
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Would empty tall boy cans be considered as additional flotation?!

AD
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Sheppie here is our galley setup. The galley is pretty sturdy. We cut out the original gallley top but left about 1.5 inches all the way around. We then laid a piece of 1/2 inch plywood in the top and resting on the 1.5 inch lip. (it might be a 1 inch lip) This brought the top level with the rolled upper lip. Then we cut a piece of 1/2 inch ply that is flush with the original outside edge of the galley. This made the top very strong. We also used the plastic baskets and have 3 shelves under the galley top. We left the shelves unsanded and we have only had stuff come out once when we were waked by a 40 ft boat.

As you can see there is not a lot of room on the galley top after the sink and the dickinson 2 burner stove top. The stove top is recessed and has pot holders so nothing hits the floor while cooking. We also put a floor in the seat forward of the galley. We used construction adhesive to attach 1x2s to each side and then just laid a board on top so we can remove it when needed. Just do a lot of thinking before modding the mac. We copied Chinooks stove top build. Have fun making your mods.
I think this is Chinooks galley. It is one of the nicest we have ever seen.

OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Ris

We Like your galley mod!
Nice slip covers for the cushions too!
We’re the covers had to do?
Did you use the old ones as templates or make from scratch?
(It’s a project we keep contemplating but are hesitant as we haven’t made much of anything with a sewing machine…. :? :? )

Thanks for sharing Chinook’s too.
Both are very nice. :) :)

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Sheppie62!

Not sure if the bamboo sheet you are looking at is the same as bamboo flooring stuff.
We have bamboo flooring up in NH and it appears nice and wears great.
It holds up pretty good even with all the mud, muck, snow and rain boots traversing it…
(Just wish the door entry carpets held up as well… :D :D :D :D )

The bamboo should look nice! 😊

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

I was looking at a 4’ x 8’ x 1/2” sheet of bamboo plywood. Think mostly used for cabinets. But having a hard time sourcing it locally. I can get it shipped, but for(1) piece? Might be cost prohibitive. Also considering solid surface like Corian in 1/4”.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Sheppie62!

You might consider hardwood plywood?
We used the 11/32 (what used to be 3/4) inch maple for our galley tops.
It comes in white oak, red oak, walnut, maple, poplar and birch veneers.
Generally in 5 and 7 ply with little to no voiding.

We used a Crystal Clear Satin Water-Based Floor Polyurethane ( it’s a high-performance polyurethane formulated with patented Aluminum Oxide nano-technology for durable, long lasting protection. Low odor, self-living provides superior scuff, scratch and stain resistance. Designed to enhance the natural beauty of wood rather than mask it over. Being tough enough for floors it handles counter top duty well in stride.)

We lightly sanded with 200 grit followed by 400 grit sanding screens using a random orbit and used a vacuum to pull-up the dust followed by tack cloth.
Then brush applied the polyurethane quickly along the grain and let dry in a warm area overnight.
We made a plastic drop cloth tent to help keep dust from settling while it dried.
Then sanded with 400 grit sanding screen (& vacuum) using a random orbit to remove any bumps etc… and applied another coat of polyurethane and again let it dry overnight in the plastic drop cloth tent.
Lastly we sanded with 600 grit sanding screen (& vacuum) using a random orbit to smooth te surface and applied another coat of polyurethane and again let it dry overnight in the plastic drop cloth tent.

We did both the top and bottom surfaces (& edges) although not so much sanding on the bottom surface.
The poly dried really hard (which is sort of expected for a flooring product :D :D ).

The Birch veneer ply takes a stain very well if you want to do something different.

While we got ours from Lowe’s it is also offered similarly from Home Depot and Menards.
It also can be had in 1/2 and 1/4 nominal thicknesses if desired.
Some stores will sell it in 4 ft x 4 ft panels.
Our 3/4 in thick 4 x 8 ft panel was less than $90 USD and
A 1/2 in thick 4 x 8 ft panel should be about $50 USD last time I looked.

Another option if you like the bamboo look is to use pre-finished flooring strips on a piece of backer plywood that has been sealed with a couple coats of polyurethane. I’ve seen some really nice durable table tops done that way. The prefinish surfaces are incredibly hard and durable.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts 💭 🤔💭 that might be of help.

We found out when we did our galley that there is nothing straight, flat, square, true or plumb about our stock galley so don’t be surprised.
We had tiles on our original surface and it just wasn’t worth the effort getting them off.
We used a vibrating cutter multi tool with a carbide 3/4 round carbide tile blade (& vacuum w/masks) to cut the top opening.
Same for any other fiberglass cutting. The multi tool worked great and the right angle head made it easy to control!

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈