What type of material / liner is this ?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

What type of material / liner is this ?

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Hi guys, doing the usual every other day CL perusal of boats for sale & I saw this liner. Does anyone know what kind it is? I could see this used in a few places on my :macx: to fancy up the interior. I cant even say what its called - thatched?

Thanks for your 0.02$ (price not adjusted for inflation)

2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: What type of material / liner is this ?

Post by NiceAft »

It looks like woven straw, but I can't be certain that is the actual material.

Seeing that this is a nautical use, it may just be some sort of man made material to resemble straw.
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi PitchPolePhobie

That looks nice!

It sort of looks like woven cane or rattan…it is generally used in decorative panels for dividers, furniture, wall treatments, etc…

Is it like this?

The link is below:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313705912065?c ... gKTBvD_BwE

Sorry for the long url link.

Similar materials can be had as plastic and vinyl materials that are impervious to moisture issues.

Hope it helps

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

Just my 2c: I would want to ensure I get a covering that is solid - as opposed to full of holes like a woven material is. And I'd want to ensure that it has a low profile (i.e. easy to wipe down).

Priority is to make sure it can be easily - and thoroughly - cleaned with a bleach solution.

Otherwise I suspect mold can build up in all those protected nooks and crannies.
MacX 2000 Honda BF50A 'SeaSaw'
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

If you're wanting to cover places in the cabin which aren't finished with a nice glossy gelcoat, such as the underside of the sliding hatch cover and inside the head, I would suggest another option. I painted those chalky surfaces with a one part epoxy gloss white paint. Very close match to the white gelcoat, and makes those surfaces very easy to keep clean and mold free.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Chinook wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:29 am If you're wanting to cover places in the cabin which aren't finished with a nice glossy gelcoat, such as the underside of the sliding hatch cover and inside the head, I would suggest another option. I painted those chalky surfaces with a one part epoxy gloss white paint. Very close match to the white gelcoat, and makes those surfaces very easy to keep clean and mold free.
I like that idea - got a link?
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

It's been a few years since I painted. Still looks like new. I can't remember specifics of the paint. An RV store put me onto it, when I wanted to refinish the aluminum siding of my pickup camper. It was oil based, rather thick, and never peeled. I just did a quick search for one part epoxy paint, and saw some stuff at Lowes which is recommended for garage floors. Says it has some epoxy mixed into the paint, which helps it to remain somewhat pliable.