Trailer Brakes

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
macowneril2015
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Trailer Brakes

Post by macowneril2015 »

My trailer brakes have had issues, I previously replaced the master cylinder and actuator and bled the brakes. I had issues after with brake fluid coming out near master cylinder cap. I am unsure what the best steps here are. I have been towing it relatively short distances and the only major distance is to the ramp at start and end of season. I only boat in fresh water so the trailer seems to be in relatively good condition (occasional surface rust). It has the original drum brakes. Should I try to replace brake lines myself or is it a job that I should hire someone for this. I assume since there have not been issues towing I am good until I get the boat off and in the water it would be easier to work on the trailer. Not sure what other items I would need to replace. Does it make sense to fix this trailer or is a replacement something I should pursue my only hold back on a new trailer is the limited use of the trailer.
adudinsk
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Trailer Brakes

Post by adudinsk »

Brake lines are easy..
Can be done in 2 different way's.

1) Go to auto store, and buy a bunch of different lengths with ends attach..
bend them to shape..
join them with a threaded coupler..
works.. might be to $$$ though...

2) Buy a tube flaring kit.. .$50 or less.
Buy a tiny rotating pipe cutter ($10)
get a roll of tubing for brakes.. (bring in a sample to the auto box store to get right diamater
Buy a few ends
Get a tub bending tool ... Super cheap.
You can then bend ANYTHING you need.. slide the two ends on.. flare them with the tool (easy.. just go slow..)
Done..

Have done lots of brake lines for cars.. no issues ever..

Just cut some extra line.. JUST incase a flare is not nice and centered.. and have to reflare..

Not hard at all
AD
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

You could replace the lines with new ones if that's the problem.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Access ... Lines.aspx

I'm not sure from what you describe is the problem. Leaking from the cap??
--Russ
Justpics
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by Justpics »

if you decide to do your own flares, be sure to do "double flares"
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

My trailer brakes had some issues today too. Thought it was going to be launch day, but nope.

Actually, it was the bearing that disintegrated. I guess water must have got in, froze, and cracked the bearing. There were only bits of it left.

Smoke from your trailer at 50mph, never a good thing.

The wheel and brake drum came off in my hand without removing the nuts. Don't know how it stayed attached to the trailer.

Drove home on three wheels. Going to add a strap and ratchet to my kit, because the suspension bolt was only a half inch from the pavement.

macowneril2015
Engineer
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Post by macowneril2015 »

Thank you everyone, I will give it a try see how it goes, should be substantially easier once boat is off the trailer.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I just replaced the brakes on my '06 oem trailer. The biggest issue whether drum or disk is the lack of use. Long periods of sitting with no travel to exercise the brake cylinders leads to oxidation of the cylinder walls and pistons. Mine would break but not release which overheated the rotors from the pads dragging on the rotor surface. I ordered a new set of Dexter DB35's from BWY for my '06. With the boat off the trailer it was an easy project. Two bolts to remove and replace. Reconnect the brake lines, flush and bleed, done.
:macm: