Engine Tune-up Item/ New Fuel Tank Suggestions

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
macowneril2015
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Engine Tune-up Item/ New Fuel Tank Suggestions

Post by macowneril2015 »

I have a 50hp Nissan (NS50D2) I was able to clean out and rebuild carbs last year and everything seems to be in working order (may need to slightly adjust timing).I inspected the fuel pump and it looked to be in reasonable shape. I know the fuel pipes on the engine are original is there any concern of those it would be a headache to change but I rather do it than have issues. My water pump was changed 2 years ago so I think I am probably still safe. Any other things I should check pre season?

I have my original fuel tanks and they are showing age and appear to be degrading does any one have suggestions for fuel tank replacements and with new tanks I would need to modify my fuel line to have3 a fuel demand valve correct.
LeePierce
Deckhand

Re: Engine Tune-up Item/ New Fuel Tank Suggestions

Post by LeePierce »

I purchased the following:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132133401742

They seem well built, have a gauge built in, fit well in the boat, fitting is more solid than those requiring an additional fitting.
So far happy with them.
Lee Pierce
Euless Texas (South of Dallas Ft-Worth Airport)
2000 Mac 26X
imjustinbraun
Deckhand

Post by imjustinbraun »

I went with this one. I keep it under the driver's seat behind the helm. It's held up great and has its own fittings and level gauge.

OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Macowneril2015!

The fuel tanks manufactured in the past decade are pressure retaining with a vacuum relief valve ( NOT a pressure belief valve).
This is to keep fuel vapors from escaping which is a good thing at several levels….
The pressure that builds up in the tanks can pose a challenge on older engines in that the carb float valves can be lifted from their seats which may cause flooding.
The solution is to install one of these:

We still have our vintage Tohatsu 50 hp 2-stroke and incurred the problem when we added new 12 gallon tanks.
(It wasn’t the size of the tanks, it was that they were made within the last decade).
This addition of a fuel demand valve to the line feeding the engine seems to have fixed our flooding issue.

Our fuel set up has two tanks feeding a three position selector valve (Tank 1/Tank 2/ OFF)
then a primer bulb
then the fuel filter/water separator
then the Fuel Demand Valve
Then on to the engine.

Hope this helps! :) :)

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
fudt
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

OverEasy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:32 am Hi Macowneril2015!

The fuel tanks manufactured in the past decade are pressure retaining with a vacuum relief valve ( NOT a pressure belief valve).
This is to keep fuel vapors from escaping which is a good thing at several levels….
The pressure that builds up in the tanks can pose a challenge on older engines in that the carb float valves can be lifted from their seats which may cause flooding.
The solution is to install one of these:

We still have our vintage Tohatsu 50 hp 2-stroke and incurred the problem when we added new 12 gallon tanks.
(It wasn’t the size of the tanks, it was that they were made within the last decade).
This addition of a fuel demand valve to the line feeding the engine seems to have fixed our flooding issue.

Our fuel set up has two tanks feeding a three position selector valve (Tank 1/Tank 2/ OFF)
then a primer bulb
then the fuel filter/water separator
then the Fuel Demand Valve
Then on to the engine.

Hope this helps! :) :)

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
fudt
Over Easy I found your fuel system mod and was going to try to follow it as it seems like the best system, I want to avoid cutting deck so I will go with smaller tanks. Have you ever changed the fuel tubes on your engine or any other major fuel system repairs? These older outboards put me a little out of my wheelhouse so any maintenance suggestions are appreciated.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi MacOwneril2015!

We have been fortunate in that the rubber plumbing on our Vintage Tohatsu 50 2-stroke seems to be in good shape.
We not only did our own inspection but also had a good marine shop check it out as well.
So far, so good…….🙄🤞

We were fortunate that our PO did a great job keeping all the manuals together.
There are also manuals available online via the Tohatsu web site.

In general the hoses on the Tohatsu are available as are card kits and fuel pump kit via Tohatsu.
I prefer to stay with the OEM parts when I can.

Www.Tohatsu.com

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
fudt
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

OverEasy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:39 pm Hi MacOwneril2015!

We have been fortunate in that the rubber plumbing on our Vintage Tohatsu 50 2-stroke seems to be in good shape.
We not only did our own inspection but also had a good marine shop check it out as well.
So far, so good…….🙄🤞

We were fortunate that our PO did a great job keeping all the manuals together.
There are also manuals available online via the Tohatsu web site.

In general the hoses on the Tohatsu are available as are card kits and fuel pump kit via Tohatsu.
I prefer to stay with the OEM parts when I can.

Www.Tohatsu.com

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
fudt

OverEasy,

What size fuel water separator did you order? I am attempting to replicating your mod.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi MacOwneril2015!
We chose the RACOR 30 GPM 10 Micron water separating fuel filter assembly pictured below (available from several places like West Marine)for several reasons.

-> The flow rating of 30 GPM is far in excess of what our thirsty engine will ever need by several factors. (Like 10x more)

-> A fuel filter is/should be replaced at least seasonally to be functional. This has to do with the potential “skunge” that inevitably forms in fuel (the main reason behind having a filter) and the inevitable degradation (rusting) of the external filter housing in our salt/brackish water environment here in SC.

-> The water separator bowl is more than sufficient in size and very easily shows if there is any water accumulated. The smaller size not only makes it easy to read it also wastes less fuel when emptying. (To avoid polluting the waterway we have a small sealable plastic fuel resistant container … an old wide mouth oil additive bottle that we pour it into which we dispose of properly with our trash recycler hazardous waste pickup days, our local waste transfer station or our local automotive oil change location. We have used all three methods without much effort.) For similar reasons we also dispose of the old filter cartridge appropriately and the smaller size also makes it somewhat easier to do so.

-> The smaller filter is less expensive than the larger size filters so it takes up less space, both in use and for the spares we carry with us. We can carry two spare filters (or more) in the same volume as one of the larger filters.

Hopes this helps! 😎😎

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈