Opinions on different Head Sails ( Jib or Genoa and other options)

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: Opinions on different Head Sails ( Jib or Genoa and other options)

Post by Highlander »

Sheppie62 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:46 pm Highlander did you ever get a price on the Custom Generator sail? I’m thinking about the 165 size, how far forward is necessary for sail to clear the bow railing, is that the biggest concern?
Yes Here u r I believe this price was for a longer luff length of 27' 5" so as to fit above my Jib hound as my additional Genny hound is mounted approx 30" higher than my jib hound

A custom 165% Generator with additional luff length provides a sail of 215 square feet.

The price would be $604.32. Please note this price does not include any discounts we are currently offering.

price for a reg 165% generator is USA$578.08
as of if u want to add a top down furler u will need to buy a mast hound from BWY or ur local marine store that sell sail boat hardware mount it approx 18" above ur Jib mast hound attach a good ball bearing non swivel halyard block then a new Spinnaker halyard to the dedicated spinnaker mast hound & a good quality snap shackle to the spinnaker halyard, tie a boat hook to ur bow roller run the spinnaker halyard out to the boat hook make sure u cleat off the other end of the spin halyard first then determine how far out u want to go I,d say 18"-24" would b fine , then attach a measuring tape to ur spin halyard pull it to the top & that length will b ur Max luff minus top swivel & furling drum length u will want ur furler hoist length to b at least 12" shorter to allow for stretch so as u can tighten the furling luff torsion line if u go with a top down furler
a short bowsprit like BWY has would b fine if too long it,s a pita to install or remove on the water my Genny furler is out 3ft & my Spinnaker furler is 4ft out on the end of my 4ft bowsprit I,m going to make an folding attachment bar that will fit on top of my bowsprit that I can unpin & lift to a vertical position for installing & removing , u can just buy an Alum tube thick wall from any metal super market it comes in two grades low grade & high grade high grade is a lot stronger that,s what u want & make ur own & attach it to a 1/4" thick U channel with backing plates under the deck or other means dicussed earlier
https://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/we ... l&cart_id=
go to measuring sails top left on this link & look at the head sail section
J 8)
Sheppie62
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Sheppie62 »

Highlander wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:32 pm
as of if u want to add a top down furler u will need to buy a mast hound from BWY or ur local marine store that sell sail boat hardware mount it approx 18" above ur Jib mast hound attach a good ball bearing non swivel halyard block then a new Spinnaker halyard to the dedicated spinnaker mast hound & a good quality snap shackle to the spinnaker halyard, tie a boat hook to ur bow roller run the spinnaker halyard out to the boat hook make sure u cleat off the other end of the spin halyard first then determine how far out u want to go I,d say 18"-24" would b fine , then attach a measuring tape to ur spin halyard pull it to the top & that length will b ur Max luff minus top swivel & furling drum length u will want ur furler hoist length to b at least 12" shorter to allow for stretch so as u can tighten the furling luff torsion line if u go with a top down furler
ordered the Add a Spinaker kit from BWY. Will get that installed then start figuring out what I want to do for the Bow Sprit. I would like (maybe not possible) to have it have an anchor roller, ladder, and fold up or trailering/ limit length for slip costs/ and to easily attach sail when folded up. We’ll see if that’s possible. Then I’ll do the measurements for the furler/ sail. May take a while!]
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: Blue shark furler

Post by Highlander »

Sheppie62 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:29 am Saw this on eBay what goes between top and bottom? Non twisting cable?

Doe's anyone have a good conception preferably not an opinion of whether to purchase this is a bad Idea with regarding what's going on over there with all the Covid lock downs say,s in "stock" but just wondering "shippment" issue,s I,d not wanting to b waiting a yr or longer for delivery ! :(

On the other hand after much researching I have discovered that all the Big sail boat Furler manufacturers furlers r all made in China but sell for 4 times or more the price of these units Plus shipping ?

On another note has anybody locally done any business or know anyone who has with Peak sails as their reviews leave something not to b desired but then again these days the competition pays their own Employees to right bad reviews on line of their own competition , sadly their is no morale left in most of this world no more it,s all dog eats dog, the exception is close family & friends ? & the people on this site
J 8)
Sheppie62
First Officer

Torsion cable size & cost

Post by Sheppie62 »

I found this type of cable for sale. Is this right kind of cable? And the correct furler, but it’s not in stock.

[url=https://postimg.cc/8jTvY2SN]Image https://www.ebay.com/itm/224346614715 https://www.ebay.com/itm/325077449030
Highlander
Admiral

Re: Torsion cable size & cost

Post by Highlander »

Sheppie62 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:06 pm I found this type of cable for sale. Is this right kind of cable? And the correct furler, but it’s not in stock.

[url=https://postimg.cc/8jTvY2SN]Image https://www.ebay.com/itm/224346614715 https://www.ebay.com/itm/325077449030
All depends on what sail u r buying if u buy a 165% Generator from Peak sails they will sew a dyneema line into the Luff for u so u would not need to buy the torsion rope
Also if u go with that sail u could buy the 2502E/2503 top down furler
So what kinda sail have u decided on that needs to b ur first decision before u mount ur Spinnaker mast hound ?

J 8)
Sheppie62
First Officer

Sail type

Post by Sheppie62 »

I have been learning a lot, but my knowledge still is minimal, so bear with me. I was sold on the Generator idea with a free flying luff. Idea being I will have the original type of furling Jib for windy days, and an easier to see forward/ easier to tack sail for in Mission Bay. It’s quite busy and narrow in spots. On low wind days in the ocean, I would like a sail that can go up wind like a Genoa but better. Generator sail is supposed to be a giant Genoa. And instead of a Spinnaker for going down wind, I would like the Generator or Drifter or whatever similar sails are called, to go well down wind on a broad reach, I believe a whisker pole will help it go a bit deeper downwind. I was told the MacGregor’s go fastest downwind on an a broad reach (because they are light without a weighted keel) and stops boat from heeling back and forth. So I believe I would need a top down furler with a torsion cable to make the top part of the sail to wrap around first. Is adding the dyameen line to keep the luff straight so it goes up wind better (like a Code Zero type sail). I’m believing that type of sail gets furled from below, so doesn’t need the torsion cable, but uses the dyameen line so sail doesn’t stretch and has something to wrap around as they both spin while furling. Am I correct how this works? And if so, does this seem like a good plan? If that is a yes then how high up should the “add a spinnaker bracket” be mounted (forgot the name of part). Thanks 😊

Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Would I be better off with straight luff sail with the dyameen rope sewn in? How will it change how it sails. I suppose downwind would still be much better than the original 150 Genoa. Sorry if i’m all over the place with this. :?
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

#1 Buy a Drifter I,d say no more than 250sq ft for ur intended purposes with a high cut clew or the Generator sail Aprox. 150%= 206sq ft or 165% 237sq ft or a Code Zero 250-300sq ft , remember a Code Zero will likely cost more $$$ once u have bought a sail & know the actual length of the Luff That,ll help u then decide how high u will go with the spinnaker mast hound. So u decide whether u just want a light air Genny if so a generator with a dyneema line sewn so as u can furl it would b ur best & cheapest route if u go with a Generator I,d go with the bigger 165% if u go with a Drifter get the Dyneema line sewn into the luff & keep to the 165% , FYI A Generator or Drifter is the same sail just diff terminology used by diff sail lofts , so u have to decide just how big of a light up-wind u want to or can handle in tight channels ?

#2 Spinnaker Mast Hound mount 18"-24" once u know ur new sail Luff length !

#3 Furler system 2502/2503 bottom up furler would b ok with a 165% Drifter/Generator , a Code Zero say 185% u,d want to go with a 2504E/2505 Top down furler

#4 any of these sails can b poled out on a whisker pole for down wind sailing as long as u have the capability to handle & control them !

#5 for better up-wind light air sailing get a straight luff with a Dyneema line sewn in & u can always add an adjustable tack line & pulley to the furler later on for better down wind sailing

J 8)
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Highlander Wow! Thanks that says it all. You have been a great help. Mast hound and halyards aft kit will be here today. Will take me some time to fabricate the bowsprit, I think I’m going to start with the original rear ladder (fabricate to a bowsprit with an anchor roller, possibly folding/ telescoping ladder ). Might work we’ll see

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

In a slightly different direction, I have one of these. Requires minimal installaton. First year, I was already on the water and simply used my existing halyard. It worked fine. It does require two people, one on the wheel and one forward to deploy it, and is for downwnd only - up to about 90 degrees. 8)

https://shop.bwyachts.com/articles.asp?id=258
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

dlandersson wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:10 pm In a slightly different direction, I have one of these. Requires minimal installaton. First year, I was already on the water and simply used my existing halyard. It worked fine. It does require two people, one on the wheel and one forward to deploy it, and is for downwnd only - up to about 90 degrees. 8)

https://shop.bwyachts.com/articles.asp?id=258
Thanks dlanderson. Yes that is the easy way. I like to design/ build things. Plus, I want to be able to furl sail easy. Go upwind more. Deploy the anchor from cockpit (once pin is pulled from hatch), have a ladder for shore landings/ swimming, maybe even a tiny rail seat. And fold up for trailering/ slip fee reduction. A lot to ask I know, but I think it’s doable. Maybe 🤔

Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

I got the new jib sail (I had an original genoa, that came with the boat 3.9 oz) think this one is 5 oz. Works good 👍 can see so much better. Points in wind better, But down wind is slower as expected. My plastic luff extrusion is twisted and bent. I’m thinking I will take off and use a heat gun to straighten it out on dock.

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

if u lay ur CDI furler foil on the driveway on a really hot day it,ll flatten out by itself as it stretches in the hot sun so as u know !

J 8)
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

At my house it may melt! :D
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Sheppie62 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:08 pm At my house it may melt! :D
So did u Bi a code zero furler & a Drifter sail ?

J 8)