Looking for my first 26M!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Looking for my first 26M!

Post by dlandersson »

Just sayn' :)
Be Free wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:27 pm I'm not saying that the "X" is better, but I was looking for an "M" and looked at three of them when I saw an "X" for sale about 100 miles away. I'm not saying it's better, but it is the one I came home with. :wink:
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Russ wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:15 pm The most important decision is the white hull or the faster BLACK hull.
Wecome aboard sailor,

As for Blue hulls ,
The classical sea gods (Greek, Roman) were said to be jealous of a blue boat, blue being Poseidon's color, and to this day some Greeks will tell you "Never go to sea in a blue boat" because of that.

Is Poseidon a good god?
Image result for poseidon
Poseidon was god of the sea, earthquakes, storms, and horses and is considered one of the most bad-tempered, moody and greedy Olympian gods.

As for Black hulls,
Dark hulls show abrasion and salt more too. White or off-white is easier to maintain an acceptable finish.

Paint your boat dark if you head north, paint it white if you're planning a trip south.

White hulls here,s why they r faster
Plus when the Sun Radiates & reflects onto to ur White hull the Purity that white light glows Evils :evil: run away in the presence of purity as darkness disappears in the presence of the sunlight
So the Sea Gods will always protect U & the Angels will keep ur sails full
Why do I have a flaming skull on my bow & 3 running down each side of my Hull because I,d sooner be chasing the Devil :evil: than him chasing me but some how I think I,m losing that battle :o

J :D :D :D :D
PS once u get the Boat it,s free Pizza for all members U Pay ! :)
Last edited by Highlander on Wed May 11, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Highlander wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:07 am
Russ wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:15 pm The most important decision is the white hull or the faster BLACK hull.
Wecome aboard sailor,

As for Blue hulls ,
The classical sea gods (Greek, Roman) were said to be jealous of a blue boat, blue being Poseidon's color, and to this day some Greeks will tell you "Never go to sea in a blue boat" because of that.

Is Poseidon a good god?
Poseidon was god of the sea, earthquakes, storms, and horses and is considered one of the most bad-tempered, moody and greedy Olympian gods.

Yea yea yea....but what about the BLACK Hull?
--Russ
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Just sayn' :)
Highlander wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:07 am
Wecome aboard sailor,

As for Blue hulls ,

Is Poseidon a good god?
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Name ur sea God :)
Palaemon, a young sea god who aided sailors in distress. Phorcys, god of the hidden dangers of the deep. Pontus, primeval god of the sea, father of the fish and other sea creatures. Poseidon, Olympian god of the sea and king of the sea gods; also god of flood, drought, earthquakes, and horses.

I think the second one is mine ! :(

J :| :cry:
kevinkirby
Just Enlisted

Post by kevinkirby »

Thanks to all of you for the replies and insight. Jimmyt....I look forward to our meet also my friend!
So.....seems there's a battle of the minds between the advantages of the 26X and the 26M's. So what actually makes the 26X a superior vessel?
I hope to acquire a MacGregor one day soon and look forward to sharing your knowledge and my experiences with it on the forum! K
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I wouldn't say the X or M are superior to the other. They are very similar in basic functionality (motor/sail) with differences in cabin design and cockpit size. The model that's best for you may depend on how you would use the boat.

For example, in shallow waters, a (kick up) centerboard of the X model might work best for accidental grounding where a daggerboard would not kick up.
The M theoretically sails better with its rotating mast.

Each boat has unique benefits.

The main site has a resources link that has brochures of each boat.
https://macgregorsailors.com/resources.html
--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Head location and configuration is a significant difference in my mind. Sliding galley in the M, vs fixed galley in the X is another significant item. In the right hands, I'm not sure one has a huge sailing advantage over the other, but what do I know?

Russ has an excellent point regarding accidental grounding of a swing keel vs fiberglass dagger board.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

That "kick up" centerboard has saved my bacon more than once. I much prefer the soft "swish" of a centerboard sliding over a sand bar to the jarring stop I would experience with a fixed centerboard. I tend to take the charted depths as more of a hint than as a fixed number. :wink:
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Be Free wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:22 pm That "kick up" centerboard has saved my bacon more than once. I much prefer the soft "swish" of a centerboard sliding over a sand bar to the jarring stop I would experience with a fixed centerboard. I tend to take the charted depths as more of a hint than as a fixed number. :wink:
This is a valid reason for the centerboard Mac. Depth is not an issue for me....but for many boaters...grounding is a serious consideration. This is where the X shines with its kick up board.

I snagged a cable in my marina. Took a chunk out of my dagger.
--Russ
kevinkirby
Just Enlisted

Post by kevinkirby »

Good morning all! In my constant obsession and search for the perfect MacGregor for me, I come across some very interesting options that some MacGregors owners have added to their vessels. So....I'm pretty certain that the image below shows a 26M with......a bow thruster?? Really nice bow pulpit/ladder combination also. Uhhh.....bow thruster?? I have been told that the 26M can be very challenging in a crosswind.

Thoughts?
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

kevinkirby wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:43 am Good morning all! In my constant obsession and search for the perfect MacGregor for me, I come across some very interesting options that some MacGregors owners have added to their vessels. So....I'm pretty certain that the image below shows a 26M with......a bow thruster?? Really nice bow pulpit/ladder combination also. Uhhh.....bow thruster?? I have been told that the 26M can be very challenging in a crosswind.
Thoughts?
I've seriously considered adding one to my boat. Now that I'm used to it, I probably won't.

A bow thruster would be a delight to have. Can you live without it? Sure, but it would definitely make tight maneuvering easier. Only downside is, you're going to need more battery capacity, and you have another system to maintain. But, I would definitely consider it an overall plus when shopping.

I will caveat the above with; AS LONG AS IT HAS ENOUGH THRUST TO CONTROL THE BOW IN A GOOD CROSSWIND. You'll have to determine that during your test sail.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

I,ve seen that boat on Utube I believe it,s in Greece,

I know some guy,s do have an issue & hard time dockin their boats :o

Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

That guy docks just like me! :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Highlander wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:18 am I,ve seen that boat on Utube I believe it,s in Greece,

I know some guy,s do have an issue & hard time dockin their boats :o

https://i.postimg.cc/PPmjDJrX/da532149bd608970b2674185deef0f77.jpg[/img]

Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)
That’s nothing John; this big boy ended up on a roof. :wink:

Image.
Ray ~~_/)~~