Wiring Boat - Best place to get diagrams?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
chipmonger
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Wiring Boat - Best place to get diagrams?

Post by chipmonger »

Starting to rewire my boat and try to bring sanity to the mess within. Looking to diagram the wiring, what software/where can I get vector diagrams of equipment/electronic parts such as the part/panels seen in
and

Thanks,

Ken
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Wiring Boat - Best place to get diagrams?

Post by Russ »

--Russ
chipmonger
Just Enlisted

Post by chipmonger »

Thank Russ for the reply. I already had LibreOffice installed so I'm using it's Draw program.
mallardjusted
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 Sold Oct2021 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yam

Post by mallardjusted »

I've used Excel for decades, so I just used it for interconnecting and text. i copied and pasted other parts/symbols from general web image searches or the manufacturer.

Then you can pdf it or make a jpg out of it.

OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Old school….mechanical pencil and graph paper…always worked for me :D :D
Even works with pens and wooden carve-yer-own pencils.
No software, device or power required.
Works by daylight, moonlight, flashlight or candlelight.
Stays readily active and available in a notebook that two or ten generations from now can see, understand and use just by looking at them.

(The archeologists of the future will look back at the 1980 to present time period an conclude that all intelligent life faded away to idiocy as people increasingly worshipped glass faced bricks! :D :D :D :D :D )

Future generations aren’t gonna be opening dust cover chests in the attic discovering photo albums, diaries, journals and notebooks to understand or appreciate the generations that preceded them for the most part. All that personal relevant creativity, stories, pictures, movies, thoughts, feelings, love letters, designs, calculations, ideas, drawings, manuals, instructions, catalogs, & correspondences that are/were on Floppy discs, CDs, VHS, Beta, thumb drives, Zip drives, iClouds , cel, phones, tablets, iPads, laptops and desktops will in the next ten or twenty years be for the most part irretrievably lost to the winds of technological obsolescence…..if it hasn’t already… it will be as if none of it or the people ever existed …

The future will know more about what the Ancient Babylonian, Assyrian, Egyptian, Chinese, Aztec, Mayan, Roman & Greek people thought, felt, accomplished, created and dreamed of than civilization since the 1980s…
Hmmm…🤔 Maybe that’s just as well seeing as how poorly things have gone since 2016…😣 :D :D

Ya gotta laugh :D or yer gonna cry 😢

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
chipmonger
Just Enlisted

Post by chipmonger »

Thanks, grabbing images online, pasting them into LibreDraw, and adding connectors will need to do.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

You did THAT with Excel?

Well done. Looks amazing.
mallardjusted wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:14 pm Image
--Russ
mallardjusted
First Officer
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 Sold Oct2021 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yam

Post by mallardjusted »

Thanks. I've used Excel so many years that (for me) is easy to use.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

with about 12 miles of wiring going thru my boat I,d need about a 300 page manual :? . It,s all locked up nice an safe in my head :D :D :D :D

J 8)
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

mallardjusted wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:43 pm Thanks. I've used Excel so many years that (for me) is easy to use.

I LOVE that diagram. So well organized.

Do you have a "blank" version that others could use? We could add it to the resources page.
--Russ
Idiotfool
Engineer

Post by Idiotfool »

How is everyone's wiring on a 26M ran from the battery to the switch panel? Mine has a solar retrofit and the wiring goes up in the pizza oven birth up to the pedestal, then back to the panel in an unknown way. I'm curious if stock wiring was run the same way.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Idiotfool wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:16 am How is everyone's wiring on a 26M ran from the battery to the switch panel? Mine has a solar retrofit and the wiring goes up in the pizza oven birth up to the pedestal, then back to the panel in an unknown way. I'm curious if stock wiring was run the same way.
That's kind of how I did it. Ran it back under the aft berth and then up through the headliner to the panel next to the companionway.

My new solar controller is more or less wired direct to the house battery with an inline fuse.
--Russ