Is the M right for my family?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
green
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Is the M right for my family?

Post by green »

I wonder if folks can weigh in on my situation to say whether the :macm: is right for me. I have a wife and two young kids (7 and 4). I've completed some ASA courses, but this would be our first boat. We're 20 min from a lake, and we regularly go to the NC coast and have a spot to park it on land when we are there (but no slip). A trailerable boat seems to be the most versatile option for us. I don't imagine that the kids will be up for hours and hours of sailing, so motoring to avoid boredom (and weather) is appealing.

I think they would also have fun mixing in water sports with sailing. Is it reasonable to assume that my wife and I can SAFELY pull the kids on a tube and teach them to water ski on the :macm: with a 50hp? They are small kids in addition to being young. I know the :macm: is not a ski boat, but I want to make sure that my (limited) expectations are realistic. As a new boater safety is top of mind.

I'm thinking primarily about the fit of the :macm: for now through their high school years. It seems like the right boat to introduce our family to boating and sailing in particular. As I think about total cost of ownership, are there modifications to the factory model that you would recommend to make boating and short trips more fun?
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Is the M right for my family?

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

You have described the sort of situation that the M was designed to address - the gap between power boating and sailing. As is true with the vast majority of boats, these represent a series of compromises which will satisfy you in some ways and vex you in others.

The M's and X's are neither great sailboats or motorboats. They do not point well, neither are they very fast when under power. I'm sure they can tow an inflatable or skier under enough power. I'm going to guess it will be harder for a skier to get planing behind any motor sailer in comparison to a more powerful ski boat. Also keep in mind that assisting your kids in and out of the water will not be as easy as a regular motorboat as the transom sits a good deal higher than on a motorboat. Although I and others have managed to come up with swim platform solutions for our boats, the built-in decks on a ski boat will honestly be roomier and much easier to access coming and going. M and X owners will hopefully chime in on motor and towing vehicle recommendations.

I have read that some M and X owners will just leave the mast and boom at home if all they intend to do is motor about, which greatly simplifies putting in and taking out. Otherwise, plan on it to take about 1.5 hours from the time you hit the ramp parking until you are out on the water, at least until you are practiced at it, and depending on how much help you get. Same for getting out.

There is a guy two slips up from me at the marina who got am M for a song. He loves it. His wife loves it. His kids (a tad older than your kids), not so much. He has had problems with his motor, his lack of experience with boats in general is hindering his enjoyment, and his kids are just not into boating. I would say if you are getting yes votes from the rest of the family then this would be a good boat for your situation. Even if it's a tad dicey, the risk is not too great. They are not terribly expensive, and if the whole experiment fails, your total outlay will be fairly small if you decide to sell and go to something else.

Keep in mind you will be learning two manage two types of boats at one time, so to speak, both of which behave very differently in their two modes of operation and have different needs. This will take some time. Putting a motorboat in and out is simpler since you don't have the rudders, centerboard, mast and boom, and sails to contend with. In either case, you will have motor maintenance to deal with.

I would say if the sailing experience is really important to you, the M could be the boat for you. Just be sure to work out in your mind the logistics of your various planned activities and that you are ready for a steeper learning curve than with a straight-ahead motor boat.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
green
Engineer

Post by green »

Thanks, Stickinthemud57. I appreciate your take on this. Your point about assisting the kids in/out of the water is a good one that I did not think about. I posted in the hopes of putting these types of issues on the table. I'll look on the forum for pointers about possible swim platform modifications. This seems like something that would enhance enjoyment of the boat with young kids.

My guess is that:

1) I'll enjoy learning to sail/being on the water and building my confidence for a bigger boat one day. I'm not enthusiastic about getting a power-only boat.
2) My kids will enjoy tubing and motoring around to all of the small coves/islands on the NC coast, with the occasional boat camping overnight. I'll hold out hope that they will develop an interest in boating/sailing, but I won't hold my breath. I figure the best I can do is create the opportunity.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

An X or M should do you pretty nicely. That will be 5 cents, please :)

I don't imagine that the kids will be up for hours and hours of sailing, so motoring to avoid boredom (and weather) is appealing. And either an X or M will allow that.

It is reasonable to assume that you and your wife (you want two people in the cockpit for safety) can SAFELY pull the kids on a tube and teach them to water ski on either.

As for fit, the M has a larger cabin. The X has a larger cockpit and larger enclosed head. X's cost less, M's are newer and cost more.

green
Engineer

Post by green »

Thanks diandersson. Those are helpful tips. Captain Charles looks to be in command. I think my kids would have a blast.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I guess it's my turn. The M is a terrific boat for you.

There will be a learning curve in learning to sail it, but it is not a steep one. I sailed this for twenty-five years Image
before sailing this M. Image

Because of a ballast system, the boat can feel tippsy, it is a very safe boat, it's self righting (with the ballast in), this is a good thing :) Extremely roomy inside,Image and even though the cockpit is smaller than the X, it's still roomy enough.

As to water skiing with a 50HP; in your dreams. Yes though to pulling a towable. Top speed, fully loaded with people and stuff is about 14mph. Top speed empty, no ballast (not wise), just you, mayyybeeeeeeeeeeee 20mph. A float being towed with someone on it, I'm guessing now, 9mph?

Don't even think about raising the mast without the Mast Raising System (M.R.S.) After all of these years of owning my 2005 :macm: , it stilly takes me over an hour, closer to 1.6 to rig the boat. Having a slip is more enjoyable; step aboard and turn the key. A slight exaggeration, but you get the idea.

As to using a boarding ladder to board the boat after swimming, it's really no big deal on the M. It's tight, but quite doable.

With the correct additions, the boat will be the envy of those on the water.

The hammock, not her, she's mine :P
Ray ~~_/)~~
green
Engineer

Post by green »

Great examples, NiceAft. And good tip on the MRS.

Do you think the reason for varied opinions on water skiing is because some assume empty water ballast and some assume full? The promotional video for the X had me thinking this was possible: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxtfHmnx2Gl4 ... OrUOt9QBiZ

When it comes time to replace the engine, is it wise to step up to something like a 70 or 90? Would that make skiing with ballast possible?
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

A 70 may, or 90 will definitely put you in water ski condition. Running without the mast should allow you you operate more safely without ballast. Remember; nobody on deck, boat not overloaded when running without ballast.

I could probably get up on two skis behind my 60 without ballast, but it wouldn't be pleasant. Getting up on a slalom would be real tough, and I'd probably have to get a bigger ski than I have now. I don't know about a 50. Tubing would probably work with my 60 and no ballast if you only have your family on board. My top speed is right at 20 mph, no ballast, 4 skinny old people aboard, boat lightly loaded.

The transom entry on the M is pretty easy, however you should shut the motor down when boarding or exiting via the transom ladder for safety.

I could rig my boat and be on the water in under 30 minutes after a year of trying to optimize the process. I'm still at 45 minutes to pull out and get it ready for trailering home. The first few times you do it will take the 1.5 hr time indicated above (or more), depending on how mechanically inclined you are, your understanding of rigging, and how much help you have.

My kids were older than yours when I got my boat. Their sailing attention span was about 2 hours max. Then, they wanted to go fast. A lot will depend on your kids - whether they can enjoy it or not.

They are quirky boats, with a lot of windage. So, not everyone's cup of tea. I really enjoy mine, though. Is it right for your family? Two adults and two kids is about the max size (as there may be two friends added). But, not sure any of us can answer your question without knowing a lot more about you.

Good luck! Hope you find a boat that suits you!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Roger MacGregor is an excellent marketer :!:

That boat is probably completely empty, no ballast, completely stripped of everything. You will notice some times you see a mast, some times you don't. You never see a boom.

There was also a publicity photo of the unsinkability of an :macm: because of flotation. The crew were all standing along the center-line to prevent the boat from tipping over (it still wouldn't sink, but it would not be upright either :D )

There was another photo MacGregor supplied showing how easy the boat is towed. The car used was a Ford Taurus. It just so happened, when I was shopping for my :macm: in 2004, I asked a dealer about that picture. He said he also asked about that. When asked how did you get a Taurus to tow that Mac, the response from Roger was "I didn't tell the Taurus." :o :D
Do you think the reason for varied opinions on water skiing is because some assume empty water ballast and some assume full?
Could be :?:

What you will come to learn, is that the :macm: & :macx: are wonderfull boats that will give years of enjoyment. Try to find if there are any near you; then get out on one. An :macx: will also do. You may like that better, who knows :?:

Ray ~~_/)~~
Stickinthemud57
Captain

green wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:58 am My kids will enjoy tubing and motoring around to all of the small coves/islands on the NC coast, with the occasional boat camping overnight.
Shame on me for not including camping in the "pro" column. My wife and I have done that several times and done overnighters on Lake Travis and Lake Texoma. You won't have that option in a regular motorboat that's anywhere near as affordable.
green
Engineer

Post by green »

Thanks Stickinthemud57, NiceAft, and Jimmyt.
Remember; nobody on deck, boat not overloaded when running without ballast.
I'll be sure to read up on this plenty.
The transom entry on the M is pretty easy, however you should shut the motor down when boarding or exiting via the transom ladder for safety.
I imagine it gets harder with larger outboards. This ladder mod looks handy: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxVFPRaNZoB8 ... sOv5QBOqkG
But, not sure any of us can answer your question without knowing a lot more about you.
That's fair. It's helpful to surface more things to consider from everyone's experience.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

You can bet that the promotion videos showing water skiing behind a 26M, were made without the water ballast.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

A few years back we had a "hot dog" towable with three seats (two smaller kids and an adult). Now we have one that looks like a Ski-doo and holds two. Kids grow up. 8)
green wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:06 am Thanks diandersson. Those are helpful tips. Captain Charles looks to be in command. I think my kids would have a blast.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

My admiral and I have had our X for 19 years. We keep it at a marina slip. We totally enjoy both sailing and motoring. Our grandkids (we are in our 70's) really enjoyed it when they were small (say under eight) and did not have a chance to go out real often, so it was a treat. We did not get into towables, but did try to interest them in steering/handling lines. For boarding in open water, we found the safest way was to have a four-step gunwale ladder you could put over the side of the cockpit. As far as really engaging the kids in sailing as an interest, my training as a US Sailing small boat instructor emphasized getting a kid at the helm of a small boat as soon as adequately trained. Something like a Sabot/Optimist are common training boats. Self-bailing craft like the Bic are nice and simple to deal with in the case of a capsize. My son and his wife have gone the Hobie Tandem and Adventure Island sailing kayak route with his two daughters ages 11 and 9. And the girls love it. They can sail it; paddle it; invite girlfriends out and just sit in the lake and swim. Water pistol fights are, also, a frequent activity to throw into the mix. They have adapted two Hobie trailers, so they get four boats on two trailers. And, yes, even the dog gets into the fun! :D

Stickinthemud57
Captain

Hershcel,

Your family is blessed. Good on you and the Admiral!