Sail Choice

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Sail Choice

Post by Interim »

I was out last weekend in a 15mph breeze (gusts to 23), sailing along under reefed sails and having a good time.

I look across the lake, and out comes a Hunter under main only, sailing a close reach. No headsail.

I have no idea how well he was pointing, but this seemed odd. Is that a better sail plan than a reefed main and partially rolled genoa? Does it point better, ride flatter, or offer other advantages?

When he got to the upwind side of the lake, he put out some of his genny for the downwind leg. So I know he has a functioning sail.

--john
Wyb2
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: Sail Choice

Post by Wyb2 »

When we had our Catalina, we tore our genoa right at sunset heading into an overnight sail. Under main alone we made about 1/2 speed (~3 knots) unless we pointed way off the wind, which wasn’t helpful as we were headed upwind. As the wind picked up overnight, the extra power in the main just seemed to be canceled out by the extra resistance of the increasing waves, we continued to make about 3 knots now matter what we tried.

Tacking was a breeze though.

My guess is they were prioritizing ease of handling (jib-less tacking) or comfort (less slamming) over speed.
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free »

You are not going to be able to point as well without a head sail. You will usually not be able to go as fast to windward without a head sail. A reefed main and a head sail is usually a better choice than the main alone when the wind is getting too strong.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

I find in breezes greater than 15 mph that a full Genoa (150%) tends to overpower the boat, making it heel and round up, especially in the gusts. It makes me wonder if the boat you describe had a 100% jib. That's what I would be flying under the conditions you described.

All my foresails are hank-on.

My sail choices are as follows:

Less than 5 mph - stay in the slip and have a beer.
5 mph, peaking at 15 mph, full main, 150% foresail (Genoa).
13 mph, peaking at 20 mph, full main, 100% foresail.
17 mph, peaking at 25 mph, reefed main, 100% foresail.
20 mph, peaking at 30 mph, reefed main, 60% foresail.

I don't sail when the winds get up in the high 20's. Too much work.

Be Free is correct - the headsail is necessary to balance the power of the boat and enable decent pointing.

I handle the gusts by dumping wind from the main. Some prefer to dump wind from the jib, but it's easier to do it with the main, IMO.

Could you tell if the other sailor was single-handing it? Some just opt for the main when doing so. Also, some sailors will just fly the Genoa.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
Interim
First Officer

Post by Interim »

I know this guy sails alone, so the ease of handling theory may explain it. He does have a roller furler, and a genny maybe 135% or so.

Your answers confirm my experience that this isn't an advantage in control, pointing, or speed. Perhaps just ease of handling.

Thanks.

--john