Mac 26x, 2002. Looking for pics, info, and tips on Halyards Aft kit and Boomkicker

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Mac 26x, 2002. Looking for pics, info, and tips on Halyards Aft kit and Boomkicker

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Just put in an order for the Halyards aft and boomkicker kit. Any tips or info on placement of the turning blocks harken cams, and the spinlock pxr clutches. My order is 3 spinlock PCs for left and right jibsheet, and main halyard. I got 2 of the harken cam cleats for my furler line that currently uses a horn cleat and I have a downhaul to install for the 2nd. I am interested in how everyone else has their deck for optimal single handling from the cockpit and how to keep the deck tidy for going forward. I plan to use 5200 and I got extra liner plugs for interior drill holes.

As far as the boomkicker how easy to install w a Vang already present, any tips or tricks?

Pica of my current deck w jib setup. Normally ive used a Genoa.

Last edited by pitchpolehobie on Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
DaveC426913
Admiral

Re: Mac 26x, 2002. Looking for pics, info, and tips on Halyards Aft kit and Boomkicker

Post by DaveC426913 »

Bah. If I'd seen this 8 hours ago, I'd've just taken a pic of my setup.

Oh well, "Sorry, Admiral. Gotta go back to the boat tomorrow. No, not for pleasure, no. This is business. Someone needs me. Urgently. I can't let them down."
MacX 2000 Honda BF50A 'SeaSaw'
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Re: Mac 26x, 2002. Looking for pics, info, and tips on Halyards Aft kit and Boomkicker

Post by pitchpolehobie »

DaveC426913 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:45 pm Bah. If I'd seen this 8 hours ago, I'd've just taken a pic of my setup.

Oh well, "Sorry, Admiral. Gotta go back to the boat tomorrow. No, not for pleasure, no. This is business. Someone needs me. Urgently. I can't let them down."
Thats the spirit. It is life and death...
Tohatsu 25HP
PSNA
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Post by PSNA »

Is this a "kit" someone is selling as a package?

The hardware you mentioned doesn't match up with what you plan to use it for.

Installing a Boomkicker is straightforward. The documentation that comes with it addresses all the issues you brought up. I have installed one on about every boat I have owned.

It is NOT a true replacement for a topping lift per se. I wish I had a dime for every time someone used the boom as a "crutch" to move around the cockpit and ended up on their butt.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

They're kits from Bwyachts.

Can you expand on that more that the hardware doesn't match up with intended use?
Tohatsu 25HP
PSNA
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Post by PSNA »

Hi Pitch-

1. I don't understand why there is a need for 2 cam cleats for one furling line. Additionally, a cam cleat is not ideal for securing this particular line. Cam cleats tend to release at the worst time. The cleat with horn is all you need.

2. I don't understand why BWY would ever recommend using clutches for jib/genoa sheets. That's not what they are designed for. Your cam cleats mentioned above would do the job without all that cost. Personally, cam cleats are fine on smaller boats with smaller sail areas and loads. Again, that cheap old cleat with horn will do a better and safer job.

3. Personally, I am not a big fan of Spinlock gear. It is overpriced and I have had problems with them popping open for no reason. There are alternatives out there that will save you a ton of dough. Also, you do not need singles. You can buy a double, triple, etc., and save money. Take a look at the Garhauer line. They are built like a brick outhouse and will last forever. Plus they are priced reasonably.

4. If this is a "lines led aft" kit, why are there no turning blocks to divert the halyards out from the mast base and the sheave box to run them back to the cockpit?
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Noted PSNA. I am awaiting pics of any deck layouts for the Halyards aft kit w blocks and clutches or cams. I have a 2002 26x. ID like to see any variations. I single hand mostly and would like to see any setups or pitfalls before I 5200 everything down.
Tohatsu 25HP
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

pitchpolehobie wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:09 am Noted PSNA. I am awaiting pics of any deck layouts for the Halyards aft kit w blocks and clutches or cams. I have a 2002 26x. ID like to see any variations. I single hand mostly and would like to see any setups or pitfalls before I 5200 everything down.
I will dig up some pic,s for u of my set up either in my laptop or external back up hard drive for u maybe tomorrow not today
J 8)
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

here u go

Raisers blocks for Jib cam cleats

Double power clutches for halyards on port & s/board

garhauer double blocks each side of mast base for halyards

doubled up the foot blocks for halyards

two swivel mast mounted cam cleats for halyards

7ft cabin roof mounted Genny tracks both sides

power cleats both sides for jib & genny furlers

aft mounted #7 lewmar winches & Garhauer swivel cam cleats

Dagger board red line led aft to 3to1 & power clutch

Traveler upgraded

hope this helps u out for now I,ll dig up more pics with lines attached for more detail

J 8)