Rudder Cable Attachment

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
chadwiseman
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Rudder Cable Attachment

Post by chadwiseman »

Curious how most people attached their cable to the rudder back to the tiller? Previous owner used a combination of steel cable on rudder and in metal then it went to rope… I don’t like the metal cable as I think it will cut into the rudder..
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Rudder Cable Attachment

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

I assume you are referring to the rudder hold-down cable, correct? The stock solution, as supplied by Blue Water Yachts, is a cable which attaches at one end to the leading edge of the rudder and at the other end to a rope that is secured at the tiller using a clamcleat. I don't see how the cable could cut into the rudder with this setup. Perhaps you are referring to it cutting into the tiller, which it will do. This didn't bother me too much with my original stock tiller, but when I got a nice, new laminated one, I secured a small block of plastic with a notch cut into it just forward of the rudder tube (where the cable exits). This way the cable is held clear of the tiller and rubs against the plastic block instead.

Does this make sense, or have I misunderstood?
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
chadwiseman
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by chadwiseman »

Sorry I am referring to the rudder hold down hole. The owner had the cable through that hole... Do you have it threaded through the rudder hold down hole, or do you have it attached to a bolt that goes through?
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

I have two cables, and they each are held on by the bolt that goes through the rudder. One cable loop on each side of the bolt.

I would also suggest that you replace the rope connection to the tiller with a shock cord, so the rudder can kick up if you hit something.

--john