Resource / Guide for basic rigging?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Resource / Guide for basic rigging?

Post by Jimmyt »

returnofthemac wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:44 pm Image

This should be easier to see.

It looks like glass where you were! We had good winds in TX today but I wasn't out on the water.

Quick observation: Did you have the bimini and dodger on with the boom off to the side? This rolling boom seems to sit really low. I haven't seen what the regular boom looks like. When I put it all together my hopes of having a bimini up while sailing disappeared!

So, I'd like to confirm the halyard and outhaul routing, as well as the boom and boom vang setup.
I sail with my bimini up, but it’s pretty low. Don’t have a dodger yet.

Aft boom bale is your main sheet connection. Forward boom bale is for your vang.

The second sketch is much better. Thanks.

Halyard looks correct.

I’m assuming the inhaul is your main furling line. If so, that is the way mine generally runs.

The mid-boom cam cleat on the furling line is the one I can’t understand; but that’s how mine was run also. I will change that if I can get the sail shape right.

There should be another small line with a boom cleat for your cable tension in the mandrel.

I’ll get a few pics after church.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Here are a few boom pics to make sure we’re on the same page.

Main sheet traveler.

Boom looking aft showing main sheet connected to aft bale.

Aft end of boom showing furling line ant topping lift connection loop.

Forward boom bale for boom vang connection.

Main sheet closeup

Internal cable tension line exiting boom to small standard cleat.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
returnofthemac
Deckhand

Post by returnofthemac »

I think we're starting to get somewhere and perhaps I may even be sailing next time I go out! Thank you for taking those photos, they have confirmed that we're pretty much on the same page.

Talk about being thrown in the deep end. At least it's helped me better understand what's going on here.

What I'd like to do is better document this rigging so that in the future, if anyone else has this problem with this niche setup, then they will have a good guide to follow.

Ultimately, I think I was running into problems with the traveller and boom vang connections. And I wasn't confident on the rigging of the halyard.

I'm going to hold off on making the topping lift adjustable from the cockpit for now. To do so would probably involve additional hardware on the mast, and I don't want to do that just yet until I get a handle on how the halyard behaves. However, how many feet do you take off the existing line? I've read 1-2 feet, so perhaps 18 inches is safe! :D

Also, what were the specs on the bimini you put on? That is my most wanted mod, and huge bonus points if I can sail with it up!
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

returnofthemac wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:41 pm I'm going to hold off on making the topping lift adjustable from the cockpit for now. To do so would probably involve additional hardware on the mast, and I don't want to do that just yet until I get a handle on how the halyard behaves. However, how many feet do you take off the existing line? I've read 1-2 feet, so perhaps 18 inches is safe! :D

Also, what were the specs on the bimini you put on? That is my most wanted mod, and huge bonus points if I can sail with it up!
You need to adjust the topping lift to achieve a "raised boom" position that gets the boom as high as you can without crashing the front end of the Furler into the mast. I haven't made a precise measurement and doubt anyone else has (1-2 feet? :wink: ).

Your lower position should keep it off the Bimini, but it should be slack when you hoist the sail.

I'll try to get you some measurements as best I can. It's a pretty small Bimini. You could probably get bluewater yachts to sell you the correct Bimini to clear the boom.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

returnofthemac wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:41 pm I think we're starting to get somewhere and perhaps I may even be sailing next time I go out!
Absolutely! We need to make sure you know exactly how to get it ready to sail.

Do you have a mast raising system?

You said it took awhile to get the stick up and get her ready to launch. What were your issues?

Be patient, you'll get your setup time down with practice and by looking at the processes that take the most time. I use Velcro straps to secure all of my rigging in lieu of bungee cords. I keep my lines close to where I use them and secure them with Velcro. Resist the temptation to tie your rig with your lines - especially wrapping the Genoa sheets around the mast/Furler. It's quicker with a partner that gets familiar with the process and can help. Ratchet straps for mast at rear support and to hold the boom on deck - as near where you need it as possible. Get the BWYachts quick pins for a "no-tools-required" setup/takedown; if you don't already have them.

I'm at the 20-25 minute mark for setup to sail. Still about 40 minutes to put it together for the trip home.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
returnofthemac
Deckhand

Post by returnofthemac »

It took me so long to set up because it was my first time with any boat. I thought I had a problem with the rigging but it turns out I was just parked on a slight hill. Raising is going to go a LOT quicker next time!

The boat came to me from out-of-state and I had it U-shipped here. The previous owner prepared it for trailering with the spreaders and sidestays on and the genoa attached to the mainsaill. The genoa does have its own cover. I'm surprised that you can keep the sidestays on, but I reckon if it can do 1000 miles like that then it should be good a good setup for local trips to the lake.

I didn't realize you could also trailer it with the mast raising system on the deck, too. That's a nice extra.

Most of the set up has those small little ring clips. They annoy me every time so I'm in the process of replacing them with cotter pins. The only nut and bolt is for the boom to the gooseneck.
ART005
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by ART005 »

Related rigging question since you're currently active. The nut backed off my spreader attachment of the bolt that goes through the mast. Do you know the size and thread (Course?) of that nut? I had it in my hand more than a year ago when similar happened and I actually found it on the deck but this time it went in the lake. From memory 3/8" - 5/8". This time I plan to use a split washer along with the nylon threads. I live pretty far from supply but someone is passing through that town on their way to near my place so hope to pay for a pickup at standard hardware store quickly.
ART005
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by ART005 »

This info says the spreader bolt is a 4" long 3/8" bolt. Ordered matching nut. Maybe helpful for someone else.
https://macgregor.sailboatowners.com/im ... df/868.pdf

https://macgregor.sailboatowners.com/im ... df/868.pdf
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

Maybe it is complete stupid idea.

But why not use a CDI furler at the boom?
90% of the hardware would be ready to buy.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Not stupid at all. Probably better in behind-mast configuration, but boom configuration should work, too.

https://www.precisionsailloft.com/produ ... il-furler/
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Sorry it took so long. Bimini was on the boat when I bought it, so not sure what was bought. Here are the basic dimensions.

I haven't really checked into this regarding fitment, coverage, etc. A longer Bimini might be fine, just stay clear of the main sheet.

Maybe one of the full enclosure guys will weigh in on sailing with more coverage...
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
returnofthemac
Deckhand

Post by returnofthemac »

Jimmyt wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:37 am Sorry it took so long. Bimini was on the boat when I bought it, so not sure what was bought. Here are the basic dimensions.

I haven't really checked into this regarding fitment, coverage, etc. A longer Bimini might be fine, just stay clear of the main sheet.

Maybe one of the full enclosure guys will weigh in on sailing with more coverage...
Fantastic! This makes the search for a bimini much easier. Thank you