YouTube tips on cleaning and waxing boat decks

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
returnofthemac
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

YouTube tips on cleaning and waxing boat decks

Post by returnofthemac »

I recently applied what was covered in this video to the entire deck of my 26M. It has made an absolutely incredible difference.

I had a ton of small smudges and stains on the boat. It was used and I'm not sure if it was ever waxed!

The only difference between what I did and what is recommended in this video is that I used a Ryobi DA polisher with 3 batteries. It took me an afternoon to finish because the batteries had to keep getting recharged.

Can't recommend this cleaning method enough. I'm very happy with how it turned out!
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: YouTube tips on cleaning and waxing boat decks

Post by NiceAft »

Interesting cleaning product, but I'm not a big believer in waxing any nonskid areas.
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

So this is interesting!

Too bad for us that the gel coat on our top surfaces is a bit worse for wear than just smudges. :cry: :cry:
The years of sun and cleanings appears to have thinned out over the years… the base under layer is starting to show through.
It’s well past the buff, was & polish point.

We’re hesitant to RE-gel coat the entire top deck as that can be a real task of monumental proportions for us to contemplate.
Even more so budgetary wise to have it done professionally which would be the other rational option for us.

As such what does appear possible as a third option is application of an epoxy paint like Alexseal with their self tipping paints.
Yes it might not be as durable as gelcoat but in some significant ways the epoxy paint is possibly easier to apply, touch-up and maintain than gelcoat.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with any or all of the options mentioned. Especially long term.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Nice, thx 8)