One genoa sheet seems to be better than two

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
returnofthemac
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

One genoa sheet seems to be better than two

Post by returnofthemac »

I originally rigged my genoa with two separate lines each secured with a bowline. This was the most straightforward way for me to rig it, but the bowlines kept getting hung up on the shrouds and lifelines when tacking.

Yesterday I replaced that setup with a single line secured with a cow hitch. There was no wind so I couldn't fully test it, but when furling and unfurling in the slip it worked really well!

I'm still getting used to using the front sail and this is something I just figured out by trial and error. I'd be curious to hear what others use.
LakeMac26C
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: One genoa sheet seems to be better than two

Post by LakeMac26C »

I'm assuming you still have two working ends to your genoa line/sheet? One coming back to the cockpit on starboard, another to port? If you use one very long rope, you can simply run it from port, forward to the genoa grommet, then back to strbd. I have used simple stopper knots on the genoa grommet; one knot on either side of the grommet. This might be similar to what you're talking about.

Currently i use a single, long piece of rope for the sheet with a single knot in the middle. This knot is attached to a snap shackle that i attach to the genoa grommet. Then i can easily remove and coil the sheet when im done furling the sail. Its a nice way to do it. Plus i can easily detach the sheet for troubleshooting if the need arises.
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free »

returnofthemac wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:49 am I originally rigged my genoa with two separate lines each secured with a bowline. This was the most straightforward way for me to rig it, but the bowlines kept getting hung up on the shrouds and lifelines when tacking.

Yesterday I replaced that setup with a single line secured with a cow hitch. There was no wind so I couldn't fully test it, but when furling and unfurling in the slip it worked really well!

I'm still getting used to using the front sail and this is something I just figured out by trial and error. I'd be curious to hear what others use.
One long line with a cow hitch in the middle is the way I've always rigged my jib (don't have a genoa :cry: ) It works great.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
returnofthemac
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by returnofthemac »

LakeMac26C wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:33 am I'm assuming you still have two working ends to your genoa line/sheet? One coming back to the cockpit on starboard, another to port? If you use one very long rope, you can simply run it from port, forward to the genoa grommet, then back to strbd. I have used simple stopper knots on the genoa grommet; one knot on either side of the grommet. This might be similar to what you're talking about.

Currently i use a single, long piece of rope for the sheet with a single knot in the middle. This knot is attached to a snap shackle that i attach to the genoa grommet. Then i can easily remove and coil the sheet when im done furling the sail. Its a nice way to do it. Plus i can easily detach the sheet for troubleshooting if the need arises.
Yeah, it is this exactly.
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

I use one long line, but instead of a cow hitch I have two half hitches on it.

--interim