Elk River High Winds

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
kingtoros
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Elk River High Winds

Post by kingtoros »

On Friday September 23, my buddy and I set out to Elk Neck State Park with my 2005 :macm: and a set of new performance main sail and jib from BWY. We tasked ourselves with setting the jib up on the furler, swapping the stays and furling the mainsail onto the boom with sail straps before putting in.

The forecast called for 15mph winds and 30mph gusts. We confirmed this in the parking lot while rigging, the forecast was right, a cold front had just moved in with rain the day before.

Rigging went perfectly, and we decided to keep the jib furled, this proved like the right course of action. Common guidance including from our members on this forum suggested I was operating in the upper limits of our boats despite Roger's impressive demonstration in the promo videos.

We put in about 2pm, and motored out while filling the ballast with a brand new home made ballast tank full indicator based off one of the reed switch mods posted, will post more on that later. I mention now only to say I had never in my one year of ownership filled the ballast tanks all the way until this day.

We raised the main with a lot of trouble, using the winch to crank it up while luffing like crazy... It was about 2:30/3pm, see the chart below of reported wind speeds...

Forgot to attach the clew properly, so it bubbled out more than I think it should have...

We spent a couple hours tacking up and down the Elk River, lost a batten along the way, but man... What a confidence builder in these boats' capabilities. We heeled over to 30 degrees a few times and though scary the first few times, she never gave any indication of trouble. Just a couple of inexperienced sailors learning her. I also believe it's a bit of thanks to the better roach on the new main that kept us from heeling as much as it would have with a standard roach.. open to being corrected here

I will note that it was hard to keep her on course, and should have definitely been reefed, but once we rolled up and started to motor in, there was an extremely noticeable difference with daggerboard up vs down. We ended up docking around 5pm. I am so glad we went instead of fear keeping us on the dock like I read this forecast should have done to a day sailor like me.

Here's a short video of the event. My buddy asked me why it seemed we were traveling diagonally instead of straight, you can hear my answer in the audio.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Elk River High Winds

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Strong winds make strong sailors. Seems within the envelope of appropriate conditions for the Mac. Next time try the main furler and I bet she flattens out and takes off like a rocket!
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Looks like a fun ride.
--Russ
kenfyoozed
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by kenfyoozed »

very cool video...question from a new sailor.... is the main sail supposed to against the shrouds like that? is there potential for damage to the sail?
kingtoros
Chief Steward

Post by kingtoros »

Russ wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:21 pm Looks like a fun ride.
It was :)
kenfyoozed wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:34 pm very cool video...question from a new sailor.... is the main sail supposed to against the shrouds like that? is there potential for damage to the sail?
I have wondered this about the Mac too, because even a beam reach starts touching, nevermind a broad reach or a run. My gut tells me it's not supposed to, and as for damage, sort of.. anything the sail rubs against is going to wear it down, be it shroud or pavement if you're rolling up off the boat.

That said, there are many things wrong with what I did. I should have done my best to flatten the sail, using the boom vang and a proper outhaul. Not to mention a reef to reduce the amount of sail out.

I also didn't trim the leech lines to keep the leech of the sail tight and not flapping. Nor did I use the traveller at all to adjust the angle of attack
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free »

Looks like a great day for sailing. Tighten up the foot of the sail except in light winds and try to keep the main off the spreaders.
+ on pitchpolehobie's advise re: reefing. In those conditions come down to the first reef point and you will stay flatter and go faster.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me