Ian Storm Surge

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Ian Storm Surge

Post by Be Free »

Three days ago my little town was in the bullseye and I was preparing for flooding, high wind, and no power. Today, as the storm comes ashore, we are seeing the mirror image of what we expected. The storm has sucked all of the water out of this area, leaving us high and dry. The "after" pictures were all taken 2-3 hours after low tide today.

This is the Steinhatchee River a block from my house.

This picture was taken today. I'm standing 20' out in the river, looking to the right of the previous picture.

This is one of my favorite spots to watch the sunset.

This is the same spot today. The dry land continues another 30 yards to the right (the base of the seawall).

This is from a few weeks ago.

This is today (looking from the other direction).

This is the bridge that keeps me from running up-river with the mast up. I think I could get under it today.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
OverEasy
Admiral

Re: Ian Storm Surge

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Be Free

Hope all is well for you!
How did things go?
Did you have to evacuate? Shelter in place?

We’ve been monitoring Ian’s progress and track while we are still up in New England.
For a while there the projected track was lying on top of Beaufort Over Easy’s SC home.!!! :| :|
Ian’s projected track has been s l o w l y moving northward and we’re finally at the edge of the path cone.
(Good thing we had a couple ‘iffy’ trees taken down this past Spring that turned out to have rotten cores you couldn’t see from the outside)

The upside of physically being still up in NH is we’re already evacuated…
The downside is not knowing ….

Hope everyone gets through this intact and without harm or loss.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Other than blowing the river and a good part of the Gulf of Mexico away from here it was a minor event. Lots of small branches but nothing to worry about.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Bill,

It's nice to read something relatively nice about what the storm did. When the water comes back, will it be with a vengeance :?: :wink:
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Be Free!

Really glad that it was a miss :) and not a ‘hit’ :?

Our odds are getting better :) :) as the forecast track seems to continue moving north…

Not looking so good for the Charleston area though :| :cry:
Lots of people and not a whole lotta elevation there either….

Hoping for the best for everyone involved.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

It is starting to recover. I checked the river at the end of my street last night at high tide. It looked more like a very low tide but at least the bottom was covered and the floating docks were floating again.

I went to a small park about 12 miles north to see how it is doing. I've kayaked here but it is a fairly shallow area. A Mac could float, maybe even run an outboard to within 20 yards of the beach at high tide but even at high tide it would be hard to get a Mac off the trailer here.

It was at least a quarter of a mile of dry land from the ramp to the gulf here. This was high tide. You can see where someone has been driving in what is normally a shallow bay.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D