A New Journey Begins for OverEasy - 2023/2024

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: A New Journey Begins for OverEasy - 2023

Post by Russ »

OverEasy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:05 am We've logged 200 hours on our new Suzuki Engine we installed last August (2022).
Wow! I have an engine hour meter and I think I have less than 500 hrs after 14 years.
Today we’re hoping to add a new removable mounting system for transducers. That way we can easily swap out our chart plotters and sonar transducers. Getting the transducers to where we can remove them when not in use to minimize marine growth or damage.
I'm interested in what you are planning. Mounting outside the hull?

My old transducer was on the transom and I always feared breaking it off if I backed into shore or something catching it.

So far my inside the hull in the bed of putty has been working well. I'm using the sideways view transducer that it came with and it doesn't see sideways. But I've never found the reason to as I'm not looking for fish habitats.
If time allows we’re hoping to finish our “blow ballast” system installation.
The intent with this is to allow us to statically dump our water ballast should we find ourselves shoaled on one of the shifting mud/sand banks in our local estuaries.
This also sounds interesting. What is your plan? Others have suggested blowing air into the vent to drive water out the intake.
--Russ
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Let me know if you see anything like this :|

OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Russ!

Yes, we do try and get out and about as much as we can! 8) 8)
That high utilization is a good portion of the rationale for our getting our new 2022 Suzuki DF60AV 4-Stoke to replace our prior 2001 Tohatsu 50 2-Stroke.

Our Tohatsu needed to run with a high idle of about 1000 rpm or it would tend to cut out when throttling down or changing from fwd to reverse…. A bit disconcerting when attempting to dock or launch with tides, current, wind and waves in the tight confines of a marina. :| :| Now we had considered getting new carbs and fuel pump to refurbish the Tohatsu, and will do so in the future so we can use it on our small runabout Scrambled, but for our desire to utilize our Mac26X to do extended Trawler Mode cruising and exploring. The choice to move to a new reliable much more fuel efficient 4-Stroke was a good move for us. We used the Tohatsu for our first Spring -Summer season (2021) down here in Beaufort SC and then in our Summer-Fall (2021) season on Lake Champlain where we spent 70 nights on the water. Maneuvering to the fuel dock at the dead end of a crowded slipway with only a high idle option made for some challenging moments. We also used the Tohatsu for our Spring-Summer season (2022) down here in SC as well. We didn’t have a Hobbs Meter to help keep track of our engine run time but it was easily in the range of 400-to-500 hours.

We finally got the Suzuki mounted in August of 2022. What a nice difference. We did our 20 hr break-in period up in Lake Winnipesaukee NH.
Then brought it down here to SC for this years (2023) Spring-Summer-Fall season.

You probably do more sail power time than we do! 8) 8)

As regards to the transducer mounting…
We started this process with a within the hull approach in a small box mount filled with sticky wax.
Good depth and straight down look but no side scan viewable.
We made a much larger box (8x) using Marine grade RV antifreeze and saturated porous foam.
Didn’t work 🥺 … thought we might killed it 😱🥺🫣🥴 while trailering.

So as a interim we temporarily transom mounted the transducer and the much smaller chart-plotter from Scrambled.
It works but doesn’t have the Side Scan feature we desired.
We screwed the small transducer to the bottom of the ballast fill/drain gate valve pipe.
This worked but left the unit submerged and subject to marine growth. Yucky 🤢

So we did a test down here in SC where we hung the Side-Scan transducer over the side to test it and “Surprise Surprise” it worked perfectly!!! So NOT dead! All feature operable as specified!!! Appears it just doesn’t like being cooped up.
We want to utilize the Side-Scan feature to help stay in the channels and away from shoals as well as underwater obstacles such as pilings, trees and rocks… at least some kind of a chance to do so.

So that brings us to our removable/swap-able transducer project we’re working through. I’ve been slowed up with my game leg acting up after attempting the fixing of the guttering at the front of the garage…a lot of climbing up/down the ladder… (ladders and long walks are not my friends any more :? :cry: . It is what it is). I’ll make a post once I finish figuring, installing and testing.

The “blow ballast” system is utilizing low pressure air from our 12 VDC dinghy inflator piped into the ballast vent under the Vee Berth.
There is going to be a Christmas 🎄 tree where the air pressure is supplied from the side with a ball valve. At the top of the tree will be a threaded cap. This one is to allow access to verify that the ballast tank is vented and when it is full (via an integrated dip stick). Gonna try and rig up a Push/Pull type lever to actuate the ball valve. (Might try to do something similar with the vent portion if space allows…🤔🙄)
Once I get it put together and working I’ll post something.

Hi Diandersson!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) oppsies… you weren’t supposed to let everyone know about that 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Can’t say much now because it’s a “secret” and the “Q” Uackerman Agents didn’t want it to be made public yet.
It’s supposed to be kept a secret until after DS Rump makes his big reveal announcement and his personalized NFT trading cards are ready for sale! Shhh! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Best Regards to All
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I wonder what changes Suzuki made with the DFxxAV models.

I have the DF70. It's been rock solid. I did have to replace plugs once as it started running rough. When I went to launch this year I had a failed fuel filter that I attribute to poor quality 3rd party filter dry rotting the hose.

How are you logging engine hours? For some reason when I bought the boat, I installed an engine hours meter. However, I believe the motor has a cool digital interface that will connect to chart plotters etc.

Yes, I sail whenever possible. I rarely run WOT which is probably bad. Generally, if I'm motoring, it's ~ 2000 RPM. Probably why I had to replace the plugs already. I'm learning unlike modern cars, these motors require spark plug replacement more frequently.

The nearest Suzuki dealer is 8 hours away, therefore I have needed to do my own maintenance. Most recently I replaced internal sacrificial anodes. I didn't know there was such a thing. This forum taught me much about service. I also learned there are different types of anodes depending on what kind of water you boat in.

I'm curious how your transducer will work. I was tempted to mount it on the ballast drain. It is intended to be transom mounted with an included bracket. Honestly, I'm not even sure how to read the sideways view screen. I'm happy with chart plotter and depth.
--Russ
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Russ!

The Suzuki DFxxAV family at their core have a substantially beefier higher thrust lower ends.

The plugs aspect may have to do with the lower running RPMs and potential carbon fouling.
The Suzuki platinum wire plugs seem to do reasonably well for us so far….

We are logging our time on a Suzuki Hobbs meter that is simply an ignition switch ‘ON’ enabled type counter.
So we don’t leave it enabled when not actually running the engine.

There is also our engine cluster gauge which has multiple functions (RPM & Idiot lights for check engine/oil pressure/temperature/rev limit). Integrated into this is a feature that interfaces with the engine computer to flag you that your 100 hours since the last oil change has passed. It does this by flashing the oil warning light and making a wimpy beeping sound ( being enclosed within the pedestal doesn’t help).
The warning starts at about 96 hours. You manually reset the engine computer timer after completing the oil changes.

You’re right about there being an ability to monitor the engine computer via the interface cable via a J1939 connection with some Garmin chartplotter options:

There are also more detailed featured stand alone engine monitors available from Suzuki:

Suzuki recommends changing both the engine and lower unit oil every 100 hours.
While the recommendation is to change the filter every 200 hours I figure that it’s less of a problem to change it at the 100 hour mark for simplicity. Less to get confused or inadvertently forgotten.

The engine anode recommendation is to inspect at the 100 hour marks for both internal and external.
The factory anodes are zinc.
If they are crusted one can clean off the crust to reactivate them a time or two but that’s only a stopgap until getting them replaced.
Scraping them means exposing the full un corroded surface to be effective. Each cleaning diminishes the anode’s surface area. Law of diminishing returns.

Here’s the Suzuki maintenance recommendations for our Suzuki DF60AV.

The direct mounting of a transducer on the stern face is something I didn’t want to contend with as it would have required making holes below the waterline. Some holes might have gone into the ballast tank and some might have gone into the aft berth interior space. For us it was also only going to be a temporary fix using our auxiliary equipment to get a working sonar system while we sorted out our issues with the primary unit. To that end I simply drilled and screwed the transducer mount to the underside of the ballast fill/drain valve pipe (It’s plastic) with 4 SST wood screws that I had handy. I made sure I stayed away from the actual waste gate functional areas.
Yes this is considerably deeper below the hull than what Garmin recommends but it still worked very well. The Garmin bracket is more than robust enough and has proven to be so with about 200 hours of operation. A sizable portion of those operating hour has been at 5000 RPM and a GPS speed of between 12 to 16 mph which has us up on plane. The depth readings and bottom contour display was fine without distortion (although the “fish” returns weren’t really usable as they went by too fast :D :D ). Occasionally we’d catch some reeds that we easily cleared with our boat hook. We found that screw mounting directly to the fill/drain valve pipe was functional, simple and robust.

I know others have done something similar by utilizing a SST band clamp to clamp to the pipe of the fill/drain valve.
I chose not to go that route as I’ve found that SST band clamps tend to rust/corrode both in the band as well as in the tensioner screw leading the band to become self loosening over time. The pre drilled screws don’t do any harm to the valve and if one uses longer screws can make a screen of sorts to keep at least big stuff from wandering into the ballast tank when filling.

So currently I’ve just finished the external bracket for our removable transducer mod:

I utilized a section of cast aluminum TRAXSTECH “T-rail” 18 inches long that I mounted to our G-10 engine mount reinforcing plate we installed as part of our new engine up grade to the Suzuki DF60 AV. I deliberately made the plate the full width of the engine mount flat area so that it would not only spread out the load but provide addition ‘not into the hull’ mounting surface if desired which is what we utilized the mount the TRAXSTECH to the stern by drilling and tapping full depth 1/4-20 threads into the plate. The screws were driven in with Locktite Green thread lock compound to help ensure the screws won’t back out on their own. A bottom stop bolt was added at the base of the T-rail and was dipped in Locktite Green to help keep it in place over time.

(Aside 1: G-10 is a form of manufactured plate fiberglass used industrially and comes in versions that resist water intrusion and harsh environments. It is universally and consistently very dense and strong. I also prepped, epoxy primed and coated it entirely with ablative antifouling before mounting.)

(Aside 2: TRAXSTECH is a really robust system to mount fishing gear and accessories to gunnel tops such as Deep Sea rod holders & etc. yes it’s definitely overkill for a transducer but I got it in a four foot length at a good price. The spare length will go on our little runabout to also make a removable/swap-able transducer mount so Over Easy & Scrambled can easily share either’s chartplotters and transducers. What length of the TEAXSTECH rail will find other goo uses as well on other projects.)

I utilized a section of used spare STARBOARD to make the T-slot slider plate. It was made about 14 inches long to provide a nice stable interface to guide and hold the outer mount plate which the transducer is mounted.
I used SST #10-24 screws and SST Self locking nuts to make the gap space between the slider plate and the outer mount plate. This allowed me to adjust the clamping gap between them to guide/grip them to the TRAXSTECH T-rail.

The 24” long outer clamp plate was made from nominal 4” PVC lumber board which is actually 3-1/2 inches wide and the same width as the T-rail. The Garmin transducer bracket is mounted at the bottom and a 1” diameter finger lift hole was made at the top. The cut ends and finger hole were routered with a 1/2” radius to preclude sharp edges.

The relationship between the slider plate and the outer mount plate was adjusted so that the transducer was protruding below the bottom of the hull the recommended 1/4-to-3/8 amount (per Garmin). I still have an additional 1” of downward sdjustment on the Garmin supplied bracket should that be needed. On the off chance more downward adjustment is needed I can also trim the slide plate where it meets the stop bolt on the T-rail.

I mounted the transducer and routed the cable up and through the finger lift hole while securing the cable with UV resistant cable clamps to keep things neat and secure.

I adjusted the compression between the slide plate and outer mount plate to the T-rail via the external nuts to make the assembly secure while in use but still easily removable. Should thing loosen up over time I can alsway re tighten the clamping function of the screws for a tighter fit.

This mod allows us to now easily remove the transducer from the water when not in actual use and will allow us to easily swap chartplotters/transducers between both our Mac26X Over Easy and our little runabout Scrambled when desired (once I get Scrambled set up and an additional mount assembly made 🙄😉).

Here are a several photos of where we’re at at this time:

Finished removable transducer assembly with prior auxiliary transducer mounted to ballast valve for reference

Above are the clearance photos between the engine and transducer as well as the rudder bracket (sorry about the rudders being off as we’ve been operating in Trawler Mode😱😉😎😎

Below are perspective photos of the various parts for reference.

So far so good!👍👍
Now I can remove the auxiliary transducer from Over Easy once the rain lets up…

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈

PS: Finished cleaned up installation photos:
Last edited by OverEasy on Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Interesting new lower unit. Sounds like it makes a lot of sense for our boats. What size prop are you spinning? What's your max WOT RPMS?

I do all my own maintenance because, well there isn't a dealer for 8 hours.

Honestly, I haven't even logged the hours between maintenance. I log the date of maintenance.
I change the engine oil every Fall when I haul out regardless of hours. Lower oil every 4 years. Impeller 4 years. Fuel filter 4 years.
I'm a believer that old oil, regardless of hours can build acids, so I change every year along with the filter. It's super easy to change on the Suzi. Filter is easy as well, I always have an extra. One of the simplest maintenance items.

I just learned 2 years ago about internal anodes. So I bought a set that includes the anode under the motor mount. I also bought Magnesium anodes because they are recommended for fresh water. Seems useless to clean them when you have them out just replace them. They are cheap enough, why mess around?

I went about 7-8 years without changing plugs. One year after launching the motor started running rough. It's hard to change ALL the plugs from inside the boat. I changed 3 out of 4 and it ran great again. Backed the boat into the dock and changed the last one. Just standard NKG plugs. I have a bunch of spares on the boat.

The chartplotter interface looks cool. May have to ask Santa for some goodies.

That transducer looks cool. Very clever. You answer one objection I have to transom mounting and beaching. Removable solves it!

We are pulling the boat next week. :( We were going to go up tomorrow but the wind forecast is 30mph+ and that's no fun.
--Russ
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

"Scrambled" ??

and Over Easy.

Okay, I have to ask, what's with the egg references?

I love tender names.
Had a friend named his boat after his wife, called it "Queen Mary" and the tender was "Teenie Queenie"
--Russ
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Russ!

We use a Suzuki three bladed 8 pitch prop and our WOT RPM is at 5500.
An 8 pitch prop is the smallest issue Suzuki prop available.
As you already know prop matching an engine to a boat isn’t a slam dunk one size fits all and a Mac26X is a unique boat too.

We tried to get a prop customized through our Suzuki dealer at 7 pitch to get another 500 RPM but it came in at move like a 6 pitch and the over rev engine computer limited kicked in before the lever position for WOT was reached meaning it was under pitched. As each try costs $$$ we decided to stay with the 8 pitch and keep the “6” as a spare should that ever be needed while out cruising longer distances. The Suzuki Factory Engineering Rep told us that there weren’t going to be any problems for the engine running at 5500 RPM as it would not be lugging the engine and he extra 500-to-700 rpm we were looking for weren’t going to actually give us much more anyway. The up side is we get great fuel economy and range with our new engine!

Having the capability of doing one’s own maintenance on a boat is always a good thing.
Especially when it seems good boat mechanics are getting fewer and farther away.
The electronic ignition systems now are so much more durable, maintenance free and fuel efficient than that of engines of even a decade ago, never mind those back in the points and distributors era. (I lived through the transition…)
I spent many a afternoon tuning up car engines when I really would have liked to have been getting on with other important tasks and projects. It was what it was. The basic plug-points-condenser-timing adjustment a carburetor adjusting while relatively simple was very much a repetitive chore several times a year. Nowadays one gets a 100,000 miles or more without any of those adjustments. Not saying it come cheap as the computers are pricy when they need to be replaced nor are the sensors but then it’s more a process of pull and replace rather than an art form.

Yeah! We’re happy so far with how the removable transducer mount has worked out.
It was a evolutionary process but I think that this is a good place to be at.
I’ve also considered getting a simpler type of transducer within-the-hull to just provide a straight look-down function and mount it such that it does an angled forward view sonar function to see approaching rising terrain or obstacles ‘before’ they bump. But that’s for another day.
Meanwhile I might now play around with just angling the transponder I have to look forward now that I have the new removable mount. It now provides that kind of opportunities without much hassle.

When I was a kid I was always fussing with a design for a personal submarine…. Doing pressure calculations…Hybrid engine/battery propulsion… multiple trolling motor thrusters… air supply/rebreathers… external lighting… audio and film recording…. and at the time using multiple (now simple) sonar ping transducers to determine distances in 6 directions ( up/down/fwd/aft/port/strbrd). My Uncle Dick was an accomplished technical engineering instructor who was regularly impressed with my ‘scratchings’ and encouraged me to figure out the problem solutions on my own. In some ways it set me on a path to my career in innovative high technology/aviation/aerospace product design, development and fabrication. Now really nice sonar systems are available for a couple $$ vs just getting only an echo distance. Ahhh the old days of paper, pencil, sliderule and imagination 😎

So about the boat names….
Well Over Easy was already Over Easy when we purchased her back in the Fall of 2020.
Our immediate previous owners mentioned that she was already named when they purchased her from their previous owner I believe.
If I have the history right there was one more previous owner before that whom I assume was the original purchaser back in 2001.
Now the original reference might have been more nautical themed as in gently changing tack … but we like breakfast 🍳 and one of our favorites are eggs over easy. 👍😎😎👍 So while kept the name we changed the inference :D :D .

So naturally when we went looking for a little runabout (a 1999ish Sunbird 15 ft side console w/ 50 HP Johnson) I could handle singlehanded to go splashing about and fishing in as well as our exploring smaller waters it was kind of natural to have a dual inference name… hence Scrambled. :D :D Our next most favorite breakfast is scrambled eggs and the nautical reference is more toward the splashing about on the water. 👍😎😎👍

We’ve contemplated naming our inflatable dinghy “Omelet” or “Frittata” but are holding off until we get around to either getting a small outboard or electric trolling motor… :D :D … If we just row it I’m thinking of calling it ‘Cholesterol’ …..

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Boat names are always fun. Especially creative names.

Years ago when I lived back east we saw a boat going down the bay with 3 kids climbing all over the boat in life jackets. We thought, "Those kids are acting crazy". When we got closer we saw they were 3 chimpanzees and the boat name was "African Queen".

5500 seems about perfect. I seem to recall that's about what Suzi recommends. My max is 5400 and like you don't want to spend $$ for a different prop for the extra revs. It's been a while and I don't remember the size. I also kept the other prop as a spare.
--Russ
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Russ!

:D :D :D Love that story! :D :D :D
👍👍👍 Perfect name 👍👍👍

Yeah, we figure a spre prop could be worth its weight in gold if we find ourselves in the back of beyond should we break/bend a prop!
I’ve seen what’s left of other people’s engine lower units that tore themselves apart “limping home” with a damaged prop.
I have a kit aboard with a wrench big enough to spin the prop nut (should the need ever arise) next to the spare 6 pitch prop.
I really should spring for a spare prop nut as well before we get into longer trips afield.

Something to add to the off season To-Do-List 😉🤔🙄

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi All!

Well, So far- So good on the quick fix items ….

Things done:
> Installation of removable sonar transducer assembly
> Deinstallation of interim fixed sonar transducer that was mounted to the bottom of ballast valve pipe
> Removal of the old 12 VDC outlets and installation of new more marine environment resistant outlets on the pedestal
> Removal of the old 12 VDC plugs from both our auxiliary and primary chart plotter power cords with new more marine environment resistant ones which also incorporate a seal ring to keep out moisture and helps lock them in place.
> Removal of the defective 800 GPH Starboard bilge (the non serviceable automatic feature failed in the on condition)
> Swapped the existing 800 GPH Center bilge pump to the Starboard bilge (area outboard of the ballast transfer tube)
> Installed new 1100 GPH bilge pump into the Center bilge location

>>> Installed Simplified Static Ballast Blowout System adapter to ballast tank
As of right now our thought is that this ballast blowout system is there for the off chance we find ourselves aground with a dropping tide or a lake/river sandbar and desire to statically remove the water ballast volume to effect a self rescue. It might come in handy.
Here are a couple photos:
This is with both the ports capped off
Venting cap removed
Air line adapter threaded in place
12 VDC inflator connected

Currently Proposed Process
- For standard ballast tank filling just open the top screw cap and then the stern ballast fill/drain valve and allow to fill normally then close valve and screw top cap back on.
- For standard ballast draining just open the top screw cap and then the stern ballast fill/drain valve and run at speed (up on plane if possible) to drain ballast or if hauling out. Close stern ballast valve and screw cap back on when ballast is empty.
- For statically blowing out ballast tank place air inflator assembly on the side port adapter, open stern ballast valve fully, turn on inflator and watch the stern ballast valve exit for bubbles, after bubbles start appearing close the gate valve plate so it is only open about 1/2 inch (DO NOT CLOSE THE VALVE FULLY!!!), when bubbles reappear and are constant close the valve and immediately turn off the inflator. Remove the air inflator assembly and replace side cap.

This is our basic setup for now. If we find we want to make the system more permanent 🤔 and improve the ease of use we can use the two threaded ports to do so with either manual or solenoid valves and mount the air inflator with the remote switches on the pedestal.

For now this will be good enough. :) :)
At least we have an option to statically lighten Over Easy by about 1800 lbs!👍👍

Tomorrow we clean up from our endeavors and relaunch at high tide tomorrow afternoon.
Then we’ll get a chance to:
> Reacquaint ourselves with our primary chat plotter
> try out our removable sonar transducer and side scan features
> try out our Simplified Static Ballast Blowout System

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈

PS: Another reason we didn’t go with an open ballast tank vent and hose like some have done (mind you this is just our personal preference) is the aspect with having a sealed ballast tank it can act as a “double hull” should that ever be needed. 😎😎
Last edited by OverEasy on Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Your bilge pump failed in the ON position? That seems unusual and potentially a battery killer.
What do you think caused it?

Have you found water in your bilges that needs pumping?

Knock on wood, I haven't had any water in my bilges.
--Russ
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Russ!

Yes it is unusual!
Yes it did run the selected battery flat!
No, there wasn’t any evidence of water in the bilges.

Seem the internal non serviceable magnetic reed switch shorted. Don’t see how as it’s all part of a sealed housing… That’s annoying as they aren’t cheap.🙁

We’ll keep it as manual “spare” or rig it to the independent high water alarm float switch in the center bilge.

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi All!

We make it back into the water today!
Hooray!
It was a long week … started to suffer from dehydration! :D :D

We finished up the last couple bits and bobs as well as cleaning up.
Still have a LARGE pike on the workbench to sort out and put back in place s I can find them the next time I need them.
Chaos right now.

We skipped the head vent installation.
The plexiglass is crazing and we’d rather replace the window set as it’s time after 22 years since new.
We are planning on re replacing the sealant (original issue as best as we can figure) as it’s getting to the end of its useful life.
So we’ll plan on getting a ‘two fer’ in the off season by replacing the windows before they break🙄🫣👍.

One last project we finished today before launching was to finalize our bow support on our trailer.

We actually got this from the replacement trailer we got and refurbished/adjusted for our runabout Scrambled.
The replacement trailer was a Shore-Land’r that was originally set up for a much larger Grady White.
The Shire-Land’r trailer has a sleeved tongue so we telescoped it all the way in.
We repositioned the axle so we would have 150-to-200 lbs of tongue weight.
We replaced the old worn out winch.
The post took a hit sometime in its past so we adjusted it as best as we could and replaced the front block Vee.
But that was another project story from earlier in the year….

On that trailer though was a bow support bracket that Scrambled didn’t need… too big really.
So we transferred it to Over Easy’s Sea Lion trailer to help with loading and over road transportation North & South between NH and SC (other destinations😎😎).

The bow of Over Easy rests on a bottom roller primarily.
The ‘new’ bow support bracket helps take some downward loading and helps absorb any forward loading that might occur when loading and transporting.

We fabricated / added the two aft tension straps.
It was noticed that the Vee block had a large tilting travel range. To preclude it going too far over we added a stop bolt so it will always be in a proper position for accepting Over Easy but still be able to pivot to fit snuggly.

The run over from the boat launch to the marina went well.
The removable transducer system worked like a charm.
The primary chart plotter and the Side-Scan feature now works great!
So there’s two items verified!

Beautiful Sunset 🌅 tonight! 👍👍

Hoping to get up and out tomorrow and do further explorations and testing of our recent mods.

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi All!

Well the plans for an early up and out on Sunday were sorta a bust 😒….. Weather was perfect, winds were calm, clear skies, moderate temperature and… it didn’t happen…👎

So with indefatigable spirit the plans for an early up and out for Monday were made with alarm clocks set and …… we got out at 1 PM in the afternoon with a 4-to-5 hour time limit due to obligations to take care of our dautghter’s Australian Cattle Dog 🐶 and something doggy.
He’s at least 60 pounds and has helped with the house remodeling by attempting to consume the old doily lace curtains (that I’ve been trying for year to get the Admiral to take down 👍) and the fake floor plant by the front door (that was hiding a carpet stain :D ). He’s also helped with the aged paint job on back of the front door I’ve been meaning to get to…🙄🫣. He’s sorta like a bored energetic happy go lucky teenager stuck with two grand parents who don’t have the activity levels to keep up him when we’re home, never mind when we’re out of the house without him for several hours. He tends to make his own entertainments if left alone too long …. :D :D

So we did get out Monday afternoon. Great weather if a bit hot as the afternoon wore on. But it’s cooler when you’re out on the water.
We went on Battery Creek and then crossed over to the Cat Island Cut and onto Cowen Creek and up to Distant Island Creek. Beautiful afternoon.

We played with the new transom mounted removable sonar transducer and our primary chart plotter that we’d not used so far this season.
All the nice features and functionality were all there including the Side Scan aspect. …. Well sort of 🙄🤔….
Remember I mentioned that the location was a bit of a compromise in that we needed to clear both the engine and the rudder swings…kinda limited where we could place it… the only location was about 10 inches to the starboard side of the engine’s vertical centerline instead of Garmin’s recommendation to be at least 18 inches. The problem we encountered was kind of interesting.

As many of you already know the Side Scan Sonar provides one with a port and starboard view from the bottom out to the respective sides. The center most portion of those wing images is the depth under the hull and the image further out to either side is the angular line of sight distance to whatever is down there. So while we were merrily playing around I noticed something peculiar… the port side image was nearly identical to that of the starboard one but fuzzier…🤔🤔🤔…. Ahh Ha! I raised the engine up to where it was almost out of the water and VOILA!!! the port side image improved substantially and no longer was a direct copy of the starboard side. Mystery solved!
The engine was acting as a deflector of the port signal and echo wall of the starboard signal return. So at the moment the Side Scan feature is a 50% benefit to our desires to know where the channel side will lay. Something is always better than nothing ( I’m a glass 🥃 half full kind of person rather than half empty if you’all haven’t figured that out already :D :D ). In dicey situations we can always raise up the engine and ease through the iffy locations at reduced speed…which we would be doing anyways.

The fish finder and Clear Vue features both work phenomenally. The bigger chart screen and course plotting/tracking are really nice to have available again. We transferred the preloaded advanced detail chart data chip from the auxiliary chart plotter and it really improved readability when on our larger primary unit. The chip is fully compatible between both chartplotters and covers not only the Eastern Seaboard but also Lake Champlain as well!

The up side is the removable transom mounted transducer works and is easy to install, deploy, use and retrieve. It stays where we place it and doesn’t ride up when underway at full WOT or any other operational setting. 👍👍😎😎

I’m gonna look and see if Garmin has an extension sonar transducer cable for both our primary and auxiliary chart plotters so I can route them inside the hull to keep the cables out of the cockpit floor. If not I’ll just have to get appropriate connectors and splice in what I need.

All-in-all we’re pretty satisfied and are already enjoying the ability to get the transponder up and out of the water when not in use.

We had a nice time out on the water and got back well before sunset. Took a couple minutes to vacuum the interior, check the bilges with our vacuum lines , flushed the engine with fresh water and even gave Over Easy a good fresh water rinse as well!

We also got home and found both our dog MacGregor and our daughter’s dog Bonzo patiently waiting at the front door window for us with wagging tails. Bonzo must have taken the day off as I couldn’t find any particularly new renovations … :D :D

Our daughter returns from her trip later this week. Bonzo is a good boy and really sorta grows on ya! Gonna miss him when he goes back home.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈