BayCruiser 26

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
JaxMacX
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

BayCruiser 26

Post by JaxMacX »

Nice. Thank you.

I'm also a fan of the Seaward 32RK, but the $100k sticker, oyy veyyy... :?
Wyb2
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: BayCruiser 26

Post by Wyb2 »

I like it a lot. The mainsheet on that freestanding pole in the middle of the cockpit weirds me out a little. That’s a pretty big lever arm when the boom is off center.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

Very pretty boat. I love the wood accents and such. The rear swim platform is a nice idea, too. Their ballast method is certainly an improvement, especially being able to view the % full... something Mac's always lacked, and many folks have had to add.

There doesn't seem to be any room to have a binnacle, and I'm not terribly confident in the strength of that mainsheet stanchion, either...looks like a pretty narrow footing. As mentioned, the head is bloody huge, but also the cockpit is FAR to long. I'd shorten up that cockpit to seating room for 4 (most captains don't carry more than 4 souls on board), lengthen the hatch (adding more solar power at the same time) and thereby lengthening the cabin space. This would turn the cabin into a much more livable space, even with that gawdawful head position. (Oh, and imagine someone having to go the head in the middle of the night.. there'd be a lot of apologies said to the V-berth occupants over the length of a voyage... the door needed to be on the starboard side, not forward.)

Now... think about navigating it... The Garmin is way up on the portside bulkhead, and you're seated on the starboard aft, where the controls for the motor are located. I don't know about you, but there's absolutely NO way I'd be able to properly read that Garmin screen from there, nor even if I was on the portside. And my eyes ain't that bad (yet). Add a bit of sunlight reflection and the blasted thing is useless.

Then there's the motor... only a maximum of about 10 hp. Ugh. Just ugh.

Yeah, as old as it is, I think the Mac 26X still has it beat on roominess, speed, and utility. They win on features (all of which could be added to a Mac).

Little wonder, as the salesman said in the video, they only build 3-4 or these per year.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh »

She’s cute in an english sort of way. But Is she 100000 some odd dollars faster more seaworthy and spacious than a fully kitted out Mac with a brand new engine. Doubtful. In crappy weather in deeper water she won’t sail much better if she’s got water ballast and no beam. Ok, she’s got less freeboard. But the small motors not going to push the boat through weather you shouldn’t be out in but that we all get caught in some times. Would I like more speed and better construction? Well sure. But it would have to drastically better speed at that price. One knot faster isn’t going to be worth the bother. Plus the boat is not very roomy.
Plus my boat at least, will sail pretty well in really shallow water. That’s a must for me and the rotating mast makes it possible.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I like it a lot.

Many differences between it and my :macm: , some good, some not so good, but an improvement over both the :macx: & :macm:

In our :macm: , it is very snug in the cockpit when we have two couples join us. I liked the larger cockpit. Space is lost below, but it is doable. There is a sink, but I didn’t see anything about water storage capacity. A much larger engine would be nice. It would be interesting to find out what the builder says is the maximum HP.

https://swallowyachts.com/range/bay-raider-expedition/
Ray ~~_/)~~
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

That would be a good downsize if they shipped to the USA. The split rig would reduce sail size and setting the rig up is bound to be easier. The price though :P
Is it that much more seaworthy or comfortable than a venture?
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Ix,

The points you make are good, but they all focus around money. That may not be a concern for some. The thought of purchasing a brand new boat, and having the disposable income to do it, terrific. If the money is there, enjoy it in the manner you wish. Some will, some won’t, so what. More power to them.
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Nice boat!
Lots of nice features and current manufacturing technology too!
Looks to handle 4 adults that are friendly of a young family well enough.
Like the galley arrangement and slide out.
Fridge under the stairs is bit awkward but the companion way panel storage is convenient.
Head is about the same head height as a Mac26M or Mac26X…maybe a bit lower but it can actually fit an adult without being a contortionist!
The smaller motor is along the lines of the earlier Mac26 models…more than adequate to move at hull speed.
They are popular in England and are reported to sail nicely…probably very similar to a Mac26X or Mac26M or the earlier Mac26 models.
Now the English like their coastal sailing and I don’t doubt that it can handle reasonable conditions of 2 ft seas as well as our Macs.

Now the price is a bit steep but Swallow never intended to appeal to a mass high volume market…they’re English.
Seems to be a well made, well thought out, well appointed trailerable sailer!
More power to them!

At £140000_160000 one could easily purchase 4 or 5 used good condition MacGregors with nice trailers!

It shows there is still interest and a market for our class of motor/sailers and people are willing to pay a premium for it.

Personally while I do like what the Swallow has to offer and it’s aesthetics I gonna be more than happy to stay with our Mac26X and make our own modifications to suit our needs. (It would be had for us to be making mods on a boat that costs more than what my first house cost!!! :D :D :D

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈