2003 26M

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Macwanted84
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

2003 26M

Post by Macwanted84 »

What would y’all say the likelihood of resurrecting a 2003 M that’s been sitting outside in TX since 2019 be like? No more details than that really…

UV rays causing irreparable damage? Wiring gone bad? Stays being too old?

I’m not scared of the work, just the likelihood of getting in over my head with a hull and deck being outside for at least 4 years…

With the price of well kept Ms being upwards of 20k twenty years after they were produced, looking to try and save a little coin somewhere…
Semi-Retired Schooner Bum, Tall Ship Sailor, Mac26 enthusiast. I’ve done the homeless pirate thing, but who is to say I won’t do it again? This woman who keeps yelling at me about the boat in the driveway. That’s who.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: 2003 26M

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Had an 02 26x that sat from 2012 until 2019 uncovered and it washed up to like new. Wires fine. Stays fine. I'd give it a good inspection but I'd bet it's fine. Of course send us pictures. I don't think the Macs after 2001 had wood in their decks at all which helps.

I'd really check the trailer...if aluminum I'd get new tires and go. If it's the old single axel steel I'd suggest having someone knowledgeable look over all the critical parts.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Macwanted84
Just Enlisted

Post by Macwanted84 »

There is a brand new “float on” trailer with it that’s never been in the water purportedly. I can’t see any bunks in the picture tho. Even if I had to put a new engine on it, at the price point I’m looking at it would still be about half of the others I’m seeing out there.

Semi-Retired Schooner Bum, Tall Ship Sailor, Mac26 enthusiast. I’ve done the homeless pirate thing, but who is to say I won’t do it again? This woman who keeps yelling at me about the boat in the driveway. That’s who.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Macwanted84,

You’re in Kentucky, have you been to Texas to see the boat?

If no, then when you do see it, if the trailer is steel, take a hammer and start banging around trailer and listen for dull thuds instead of a ringing sound, most especially on the tongue. Ringing is good, thud, no. Check the bearings for signs of bad seals. As stated, new tires.

When left unattended for an extended time, the Mac has a history of survival. Go and check it out as if you are buying the boat. :wink:
Ray ~~_/)~~
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Time probably won't hurt the rigging and hardware. Batteries are probably toast.

Sails? Have they been stored well? Nothing that a couple of boat bucks can't fix.

The motor might be a concern. I'd consider spraying some lubricant into each cylinder before cranking it.
--Russ
Piddle and Futz
Engineer

Post by Piddle and Futz »

FWIW, we picked up a 2005 :macm: (almost identical to the one pictured) for a song at an auction in VA last year and brought it to TX. It had 2017 tags and had apparently been siting out in the elements since purchased. Hull was seriously faded and oxidized, running rigging and sails all had to be replaced, plastics on the outboard were brittle. However the interior was practically factory new and the motor interior was shiny and came back to life with a little TLC.

The sun in Texas is indeed something else, but its really not likely to cause any serious damage other than oxidation. If the shine doesn't come back, you can always repaint. From the photo it looks like the sails are stowed, so they will probably be just fine.

It's been a fair amount of work, but we are really happy with ours and pinch ourselves every time we realize everything has cost <$10K including the purchase, transport, new items and repairs. (Of course, our time spent was probably worth something.) Have to point out that none of that would have been possible without this forum and the generosity, kind advice, and extensive knowledge of members here.

Go for it! Would be great to have another Mac in the fleet!

Let us know if you turn that one down... I may want to grab that, restore it, and turn a small profit ;-)
Macwanted84
Just Enlisted

Post by Macwanted84 »

Thanks for the replies and keep ‘em coming! I can deal with fading etc, and could use the project…idle hands you know.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Looks like a very nice trailer. That alone is worth big bucks. The boat looks like it’s just filthy. I would go look at it quick and make a decision. It likely won’t be for sale very long if it’s reasonably priced.

If you decide to pull the trigger:
If you have to trailer it very far, new tires will be in order. Tires that are older than 5-7 years can let you down - particularly those exposed to weather and neglect. While you’re having the tires changed, have the wheel bearings checked. Check title, registration papers, etc to attempt verification of ownership. Meet in a public place. Keep your head on a swivel.

Most of the remaining thoughts depend on the price, which you indicate is very reasonable. It’s a long way, but if you feel inclined, go for it.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Macwanted84
Just Enlisted

Post by Macwanted84 »

Thanks! I will!
Piddle and Futz
Engineer

Post by Piddle and Futz »

Good advice on the tires. Also worth checking hubs and brakes for corrosion, in case it was put away without a rinse
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Macwanted87

Sounds like yer definitely got a good potential here!
Congratulations if you decide to to go forward with it! 🎉

Not to throw a wet blanket by any means or not to suggest in anyway that you haven’t already thought or addressed the following aspects by any means… these are just the suggestions based upon personal experiences. It’s your project..👍

As the others have said the tires are probably that for several reasons…age being the principle one.
Any cracks ==> toast
Past date code ==> toast
Sat in one position for a couple years (especially dirt) ==> toast

Then the hubs…
It’s sat for several years ==> disassemble/clean throughly/inspect (any pits or rust of bearings ==> replace)/replace any seals/ inspect cleaned hubs for any cracks (replace if found)/ inspect spindles / throughly & properly regrease/ properly reassemble & tighten/ use new cotter pins.

And then if it has brakes…
Sand off the rust…avoid ‘dragging’ the rust off by attempting to roll it off … the iron oxide will become embedded in the pads/discs which will negatively affect braking capability (sort of like trying to develop friction with a ceramic :| )
Check for adequate condition and thicknesses of all the brake pads and discs/drums.
Check for proper condition and operation of the brake actuation system … hydraulic or electric … inspect hydraulic lines and seals
Inspect all bolts and attachments for adequacy

Finally the frame…
Working brake lights/running lights/turn signals
No bare or chaffed or cracked wiring
No adverse corrosion or compromised structural frame members
No adverse corrosion of or missing bolts or fasteners

If your not familiar with doing these things it would be a honest suggestion that you very carefully take it to a place that does.
You really don’t want to be ‘that guy’ whose trailer failure get to be prime time national and YouTube star that takes out the interstate (or worse)… Seen it happen ….

Just to hedge your bets you might want to get AAA coverage (unlimited towed vehicle coverage) and or a membership to TowBoat (unlimited coverage to cover both on water towing as well as on land towing) before starting your trip back from TX to KY.

Yer also gonna wanta talk with yer vehicle insurance company about not only coverage for the towing vehicle (there may be towing exclusions on yer policy and limitations of coverage aspects) but also for yer ‘new to you’ boat/trailer acquisitions… last thing yer gonna want to contend with is not being insured if something goes awry….

You might also wanta talk to yer KY DMV about license and registration of the trailer and boat requirements…Clear titles? Clear prior registrations? Any liens? … “No job is done until the paperwork is done”…. Last thing yer gonna wanta contend with is a local or state constable just doing their job…and they find out that yer ‘jus winging it’ across multiple jurisdictions and state boarders… they generally lack a sense of humor…(especially if they have to deal with things that have gone awry whether you or someone or something else precipitated an event)….

Fate favors the prepared.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Gotro
Chief Steward

Post by Gotro »

You can bring these fiberglass boats back to life, with lots of elbow grease for sure. Get them down as low as you can. I picked up my 1995 26 x in the water sitting for 9 years very neglected . Motor not running . Brought it back to life same
Motor runs great
Mannyc
Just Enlisted

Post by Mannyc »

Not sure if Macwanted87 is picking up the boat.

I also talked to the owner and was advised the trailer is brand new and never touched water yet. Although the point of concern is that the sails were not stored and will require new ones, along with the motor not actually working. I was hoping for the forums opinion if this is a great buy at $8000. Considering I would have to drive from Toronto Ontario Canada to Texas to pick this guy up.

Also question for the fellow Canadians, I assume you need the title for both trailer and boat to successfully cross the border with it?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I wouldn’t call it a great buy. A nice boat though. Much different interior than 2005 and later M’s.

New sails and motor could run you an additional $12,000 or more depending on your choices (I priced a new Honda 50HP four stroke). Now if the motor just needs a lot of work, the cost drops.

Tolls (round trip), fuel (round trip), wear and tear, hotels where you can park a tow beast and a 9+ meter trailer. You could park in a Walmart lot and sleep in the boat. Add those costs on top of the boat purchase.

The joy you have of getting a great boat could overrule everything. Depends on what your disposable income is.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Macwanted84
Just Enlisted

Post by Macwanted84 »

Thanks for all the great advice! I’ve actually found a 2011m 2nd owner with an e-Tec 60 two stroke about half as far away. I have seen it, save some gelcote knicks it looks in good repair and am assured everything works as it should. Freshwater boat off Lake Michigan. Starting to get ancy that I’m in over my head, but you gotta take a chance, you only get one go around and I’ve always wanted a boat and this one fits the bill to a T.
I’ll post my inspection pics so if you see something cancerous please holler out. Some of the gelcote knicks show black underneath, and there is some mild discoloration that I can’t for the life of me figure out except bumper rash maybe…sails in bags seemed to be in good condition, and aside from the old name being sunburned into the side, it didn’t look too bad. Please let me know what you think. I’m going up on Saturday.