new 26X owners.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
SandZ
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: new 26X owners

Post by SandZ »

ris wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:03 pm As others have said "Welcome". We put our transducer on the stern (starboard side). We do not like the idea of drilling a large hole below the water line on a Mac. We do not even have a small hole below the water line. Because of disabilities we use the Mac as a trawler. This is a great forum, lot of Mac knowhow is found here. Enjoy your boat!
Richard
Thanks! We are sailors at heart and still able to sail but are in our 70’s and having the ability to use the :macx: after we no longer can manage the sailing part was a factor in choosing the boat. I have learned a lot just in the short time I have been reading the forum posts. Lots of good ideas and entertaining reading.
SandZ

Re: new 26X owners.

Post by SandZ »

NiceAft wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:29 pm On behalf of everyone who post here, thank you.

I look forward to seeing posts of your future adventures. Photos will be nice, including photos what you have been doing.
Planning on posting write ups and photos of whatever I wind up doing on the boat. We enjoy reading your posts.
We went on the road 8 years ago in our Motorcoach from Bucks County PA. Doylestown area. Since then we have been to just about every state and every National Park. Found this place in Newport Oregon and loved it enough to purchase an RV lot to park the Coach and a slip at the local marina to park the boat. So we are planning on staying here for the foreseeable future.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Doylestown, Pa to Newport, OR; quite a haul.

We look forward to seeing your adventures.

As to being in your 70's..............there are many of us. :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Thats a haul for sure! The 26x is an easy boat to learn all around. I think you can figure it out in a few hours and take at least a few years or more to perfect things.

What sailing experience do you have?
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

SandZ wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:15 pm I agree, would rather not drill a hole, the triducer is part of the whole autopilot computer input, giving speed through the water, water temp and depth, and being B&G was expensive, but I can find a stern mount that is compatible.

Or I will make a mount for the triducer I have and hang it off the stern. Might work!
This is what I did. I have had some trouble getting it to read at speeds over 1 knot without having it deep enough to throw a wake when planing. Mine has no moving parts though. I just adhered a mounting block to the hull. Scuffed the gelcoat and smeared on a little 5200.

viewtopic.php?p=346654#p346654
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
SandZ

Post by SandZ »

pitchpolehobie wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:45 pm Thats a haul for sure! The 26x is an easy boat to learn all around. I think you can figure it out in a few hours and take at least a few years or more to perfect things.

What sailing experience do you have?
Zoe has owned and lived on keelboats in New Jersey, and has sailed Long Island Sound and RI as well as the Jersey Shore waters. I grew up sailing scows on the lakes in Madison WI ( and ice boats in winter). I also had a Newport 28 at Herrington Harbor North for a while (Chesapeake). We currently own an Ericson 32 that we have not yet sailed, in middle of refit. We will be selling the Ericson most likely. Now the 26x will be a new experience for both of us.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

SandZ wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:40 am Zoe has owned and lived on keelboats in New Jersey, and has sailed Long Island Sound and RI as well as the Jersey Shore waters. I grew up sailing scows on the lakes in Madison WI ( and ice boats in winter). I also had a Newport 28 at Herrington Harbor North for a while (Chesapeake). We currently own an Ericson 32 that we have not yet sailed, in middle of refit. We will be selling the Ericson most likely. Now the 26x will be a new experience for both of us.
Yes it will! :wink: A water ballasted trailer sailer will definitely be a transition. Once you get used to the heeling characteristics, I think you'll find it enjoyable, though.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Jimmyt wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:41 pm
SandZ wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:40 am Zoe has owned and lived on keelboats in New Jersey, and has sailed Long Island Sound and RI as well as the Jersey Shore waters. I grew up sailing scows on the lakes in Madison WI ( and ice boats in winter). I also had a Newport 28 at Herrington Harbor North for a while (Chesapeake). We currently own an Ericson 32 that we have not yet sailed, in middle of refit. We will be selling the Ericson most likely. Now the 26x will be a new experience for both of us.
Yes it will! :wink: A water ballasted trailer sailer will definitely be a transition. Once you get used to the heeling characteristics, I think you'll find it enjoyable, though.
I think you have an excdllent foundation. Its a smaller and more tender boat than the heavy keelboats but in that way also sails a bit like a dinghy with a wheel. DEFINITELY, When the wind is "low" her high freeboard and minimal draft can be a dog. But once wind speed is up above 10 she handles so well and truly settles into a nice 15deg heel. I hope you both have a great start!
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Coming from keelboats, the initial tenderness of a water ballasted boat took some adjusting.

The admiral was especially sensitive to how light the Mac is and heels quickly at first. But it stiffens up and sails well at that point.
--Russ
SandZ

Post by SandZ »

Russ wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:57 am Coming from keelboats, the initial tenderness of a water ballasted boat took some adjusting.

The admiral was especially sensitive to how light the Mac is and heels quickly at first. But it stiffens up and sails well at that point.
I know Zoe will be able to adapt, although I’m sure the tenderness will take some time to get used to. I think my background of sailing m-20s and e-scows, and a few Lightnings, and quite a bit of windsurfing will help me feel at home and confident on the :macx: !
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Keep in mind the Mac 26X/M are hybrid boats. Built as powersailors they perform poorly at both sailing and motoring.

With that said, the 26X/M can be a lot of fun to sail if you are not racing, like in a Lightning. It's a compromise boat with regard to performance. However, there is no other trailer sailboat like it for comfort and I think overall safety.
--Russ
socalmacer
Chief Steward

Post by socalmacer »

Welcome!

As an original 1996 Mac26X owner, I have been using transom mounted transducers for 15+ years now. Not only good for speed but also water temp in addition to depth, fish finder, etc. Never a problem with leaks either - be sure to use stainless steel screws and plenty of silicone when mounting.
Image. I run the cable along the steering cable so no new holes to drill too. Good luck and enjoy your new :macx: