MacGregor 26x Rewire with Shorepower

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
ScottGetter
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

MacGregor 26x Rewire with Shorepower

Post by ScottGetter »

As you may have seen from my previous post, I am a proud new owner of a used early 98 MacGregor 26x :macx: . I am new to MacGregor and have several questions regarding the configuration of the boat. Right now, I am trying to sort out the wiring. The previous owner started the installation of shore power but left the project mid-way.

A 30Amp port was put in the port side and a 3 conductor 10guage wire was ran from it to the battery compartment. A breaker panel that appears to cover both AC and DC was installed in the galley above the battery compartment. I like the quality of the panel but I can't figure out how to wire it.

A two pole breaker was wired in the panel (cut off) from a different boat with what is clearly the feed from the 30Amp connector. How do I wire the 2 pole breaker to the rest of the panel? I am just confused how you get the Hot (Black) to power the bar on the AC side of the panel.

Here is my planned wire-diagram. The blue box in the lower left would be the AC Breaker Panel.

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: MacGregor 26x Rewire with Shorepower

Post by Russ »

--Russ
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

The black (load) side is easy. Pick it up on the other side of the breaker with the black wire on it and connect it to the bus that connects one side of all of the AC breakers.

What is confusing me is that I don't see anywhere on the panel to connect your neutral (white) wire to the circuit. Is there a part that you have not shown us? There should be a bus to connect all of the white 120V wires to.

The two breakers that are connected are your main breakers. They will be connected electrically to your power source (generator or shore). On that side of the panel the ground and neutral are connected together. Past your main breaker ground and neutral are not connected. The main breakers work together. Any problem on the load or neutral side of the connection will trip both breakers at the same time.

Past the main breaker you are only sensing problems on the load side of your circuit (the black wire). All of the white wires should be tied together and connected directly to the empty lug on the white main breaker. It's that neutral (white) bus that I don't see anywhere in your pictures.

Finally, you will need to get those LEDs hooked up correctly. The diagram that Russ posted should work for any panel. They are an important safety feature.

Do you know the manufacturer and model of the panels? That would help with specific problems.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Gotro
Chief Steward

Post by Gotro »

Here’s a photo of the back side of my new paneltronics ac panel hope this helps. Personaly I would just start over . Perchase new components and have peace of mind . I am at the tale end of my complete rewire .

ScottGetter

Post by ScottGetter »

You all have been a huge help.

I am not sure of the brand of the actual panel. It appears to be at least compatible with CarlingSwitch breakers. It took me some time to figure out what I had because of their strange naming process and being AC and DC. The previous owner had them a bit oddly arranged. I decided to paint the breaker arms based on AMPs so I could identify them better and separate them so the ones I am using for DC are on the correct side.

The diagram Russ sent me helped me figure out how to wire the hot side of things. The lack of a neutral and ground bus had me confused just as BeFree mentioned as well. I did find amongst the bin of supplies a separate bus bar for neutral and ground. I plan to just mount that near the panel and be sure to ground it to the panel itself.

A closer look at the wire they ran from the 30Amp shore power caused me to purchase a new wire to replace it. A new 10-3 marine grade instead of the sun resistant 14-2 with unshielded ground that was run.

Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Keep in mind that DC ground and AC ground are not the same. Your DC circuits should have their own ground. Also, on the shore side the AC ground and neutral are tied together; past your main panel the AC ground and neutral are not connected. If your boat-side AC circuit can find a path to ground back on shore then your boat presents a danger to anyone in the water. The only path back should be the neutral.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me