Leaking Drain hose

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Tsatzsue
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Leaking Drain hose

Post by Tsatzsue »

After uncovering the boat Friday and replacing the Rack/pinion and cable I decided to scrub the area under the rear berth. Was nasty and had some standing water. After I cleaned it I wet vacuumed and dried it out. I found a couple of gallons of water from last year in the galley and dumped them down the sink. When I went to put the rear covers back on I noticed a bunch of water back under the rear berth. Fresh smelling not soapy. The hose that comes down from the motor well and the one from the sink split over the winter. I even added antifreeze to keep this from happening. Evidently some water got in through the engine well and diluted the antifreeze. This exposes another flaw in the 26M. Since the outlet is below the water line had the boat been launched without an inspection of the drains it would have filled with water. The stock drain hose is crap. Like a vacuum cleaner hose. I replaced it with 3/4" radiator - heater hose from Home Depot. Braided Rubber. New clamps and I added a ball valve so that you can valve off the drains at the exit point. It comes in a ten foot length which was perfect. The drain in my V25 was rubber radiator hose. It never failed after 40 years. This one should do the same. So.....Make sure you check your drains!