trailering

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Macsailing
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

trailering

Post by Macsailing »

OK, probably another stupid question. But is the 26m always hard to get on the trailer? Even with a little wind it is very hard to line up and it pushes to one side or the other. the 4 times i have launched it from unprotected launch ramps in San Diego with 8 to 10 knots of wind I have had much trouble getting it on the trailer. I have actually had to get in the water and pull it to the trailer with a rope each time. pushing the stern to line it up.

There is no dock to line up and ease it on the trailer.

What am i doing wrong? or is this just the way of the 26m being so tall?

Scott
2010 26m, suzuki bf70a.
San Diego Bay
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: trailering

Post by NiceAft »

(1) the high freeboard makes both the X & M susceptible to cross winds.

(2) I make certain in those situations, to empty the ballast, go forward with some gusto. All boards up.

(3) it won’t hurt to apply something to make the bunks slippery. I have never done this, but others have.

(4) Only math is perfect, so don’t feel bad; we all have had that problem from time to time.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Trying to dock an M in 8-10 kts of cross-wind with no finger piers, side docks, etc., will be virtually impossible. If that is going to be your full time situation, I'd add carpeted side rails to your trailer to help you line it up, and keep you on the trailer, as you go in. I think Sumner made some PVC pipe side guides over cables or lines that ran from his goal posts to near his v-block. Once you get the nose in, you can work against your side rails to move into position.

I haven't tried to retrieve in the open like you seem to be describing. But, I've had pretty good wind across the ramp. It's a real problem. As Ray says above, the windage of the M boat is extreme. That's the price for that massive cabin space. I don't drive it on in those conditions. I land it on a dock and walk it onto the trailer.

I put on a real show the first time I tried driving on in a big cross wind. There's a restaurant with outdoor dining that I provided the evening entertainment for - right beside the Fowl River ramp. I got into a real bind with a lot of boats around me. I was lucky I didn't hit another boat or a sea wall. Made the turn toward the trailer and got blown right past it, into the covered boat storage area. It was a tad unsettling.

If you have crew, you could pay out long bow and stern lines to crew on the windward side on the beach to line you up and hold you against the wind.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
closehaul
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by closehaul »

I added 12” dock roller wheels to both guideposts to hold my 26X on center and keep the guidepost from scratching the hull. A PVC sleeve taped to the post keep them from sliding down too far. They float up the guidepost when backing down the ramp into the water. Remove them road transporting. Also, on the rear bunk I added 4”x4” chocks that guide the hull to center if off a little. Lastly, when pulling out DO NOT HESITATE- the boat straighten up as long as it is moving. The faster it is moving, the straighter it will be. Stop and the crosswind will take it. Closehull
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/taylor- ... ock-wheel/
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Cross wind with high freeboard will make it extremely difficult.

If your ramp is deep (like mine) you can try what I do:

Ballast IN. This keeps the boat lower in the water and has more "bite" to keep it from blowing around.

Rudders down and ready to lift

Dagger down and ready to lift.

I come in with full ballast and fins. I want as much control as I can. Pray for calm winds.

When the bow gets past the goalposts I pull up the dagger QUICKLY and keep driving up to the bow chock.
Climb off the bow pulpit and walk down the ladder to hook the winch to the eyebolt.

Power the boat up a bit more (this is discouraged on most ramps) and crank the winch as far as possible.

Go back and pull rudders and motor up.

Pull ballast valve and drain all the ballast water.

Drive the trailer up the ramp.

Take down mast and rigging.

Mac Bump in parking lot to get the boat fully up to chock.

--Russ
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Mac,

As you now see, different strokes for different folks.

What Russ, closehaul and I seem to have in common is don’t be afraid to give some throttle when mounting the trailer.

If a dock is available parallel to the ramp, Jimmy’s way will work.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Macsailing
Chief Steward

Post by Macsailing »

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been recovering all types of boats for about 50 years and never felt like such a dunce on the launch ramp. Good to know its not all me.

Thanks for the ideas and comments, it helps a lot.

love the term, "Mac bump" i"ve been doing it at every ramp. But if the bunks have dried, it wont move.
2010 26m, suzuki bf70a.
San Diego Bay
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Macsailing wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:59 am Thanks for all the replies.

I have been recovering all types of boats for about 50 years and never felt like such a dunce on the launch ramp. Good to know its not all me.

Thanks for the ideas and comments, it helps a lot.

love the term, "Mac bump" i"ve been doing it at every ramp. But if the bunks have dried, it wont move.
Be careful w the bump. Some reports of the boat sliding outside the guides.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

You can be assured that Mac's high freeboard and small footprint in the water make it blow around in the wind.
This is why we try to pick an off-peak time to launch/retrieve the boat with fewer spectators.

You will have to find the method that works for you.

There is a product that some have lubed their trailer bunks with to make the "Mac Bump" smoother.

--Russ
vkmaynard
Admiral
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard »

Same problem for years until I redesigned a new custom trailer. Made extremely up-turned the rear bunks. Also have a centering pad on the goal post.

Zero problems now. Single hand operation.

Victor

Macsailing
Chief Steward

Post by Macsailing »

Thanks, im sure i will be a Constant Source of launch ramp entertaiment.

No idea there was such a product as trailer bunk lube.
2010 26m, suzuki bf70a.
San Diego Bay
March
Captain

Post by March »

Never had a problem with this setup. Ropes inside the PVC tubes. Smooth as butter
Macsailing
Chief Steward

Post by Macsailing »

Nice work.
2010 26m, suzuki bf70a.
San Diego Bay
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Do you use "Liquid Roller" or an equivalent? 8)
Macsailing wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:52 pm OK, probably another stupid question. But is the 26m always hard to get on the trailer? Even with a little wind it is very hard to line up and it pushes to one side or the other. the 4 times i have launched it from unprotected launch ramps in San Diego with 8 to 10 knots of wind I have had much trouble getting it on the trailer. I have actually had to get in the water and pull it to the trailer with a rope each time. pushing the stern to line it up.

There is no dock to line up and ease it on the trailer.

What am i doing wrong? or is this just the way of the 26m being so tall?

Scott
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi vkmaynard and MARCH!

Really like the guides and pads you have each created!
Nice!

We have a dual axle SeaLion trailer with 4 side guide posts that have helped a lot with our light crosswind departures and arrivals to the trailer.

We add a guide rope from the rear posts along the sides to the trailer winch post when winds increased similar to what MARCH has done with his PVC sleeved ropes.

The roller guides that vkmaynard made seem like a good potential next step for us if/when.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈