Shroud tensioning

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Shroud tensioning

Post by DaveC426913 »

A fellow Mac owner found me futzing with my shrouds and told me she solved the whole issue by tossing out the vernier adjusters and installing turnbuckles.

I had originally rejected replacing the adjusters with turnbuckles because I assumed I'd have to alter the length to the shrouds themselves to fit. And that I can't really do because the shrouds end in swaged thimbles.

But she showed me how I can replace only half the adjuster with a turnbuckle - very simple.
MacX 2000 Honda BF50A 'SeaSaw'
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

While. I as futzing with my shrouds, a fellow Mac owner came along and told me how she'd solved the problem by ditching the vernier adjuster (or at least half of it) and substituting a turnbuckle.

I'd originally thought of this but I assumed I'd have to shorten or lengthen the shrouds themselves, but it turns out a straight up substitute should work fine.

Wyb2
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by Wyb2 »

Have you tried putting the mast down and re-raising it? From the picture it seems like the starboard upper shroud is hung up somehow.

Not saying you shouldn’t go to turnbuckles, but the adjusters don’t seem to be causing this problem.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

Well I just went to my local chandlery to pick up some turnbuckles, but I didn't know what size. The guy pointed out that the minimum size would depend on the thickness of the clevis pins standard on the Mac - which he said were 5/16". (I guess he knows his stuff!)

The turnbuckles with 5/16" clevisees are about $64 each.

So now I'm rethinking whether this is the best solution. Especially considering that - in theory - I shouldn't need to be adjusting these at all.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

Wyb2 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:37 pm Have you tried putting the mast down and re-raising it? From the picture it seems like the starboard upper shroud is hung up somehow.

Not saying you shouldn’t go to turnbuckles, but the adjusters don’t seem to be causing this problem.
Yeah. I was just hoping to avoid that. Of all things I hate doing on my Mac, attaching the forestay is the biggest PITA.