My Title shows 26ft yet the brochure says 25ft 10inchs

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Dougiestyle
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

My Title shows 26ft yet the brochure says 25ft 10inchs

Post by Dougiestyle »

I just moved to Texas for some sailing and fishing :D . I am now in the process of changing the title, and on the title it says it is 26 feet which will cost double the amount each year when registering the boat about 50 bucks more :( , unless I can get the title changed, to the proper length.
The Texas parks and wildlife office people will not accept the Mac26X brochure as proof of length :( . So now I just paid 25 dollars to have a ranger come out and measure the boat :| .
The office lady said the ranger might make it out in about a month or so :cry: .
I even asked if i could bring the boat to them. She said no the parking is tight :x and crowded. Hmm :o
So my question, is there any other documentation proving that it is 25' 10", or I guess I am just pi$$ in the wind trying to save 50 bucks a year.

I guess the lesson here is that the 26X is the model and not the true length. check your titles.
I had seen where there was another thread on this somewhere in here.

Thanks Rant over
Dougiestyle
1998 26X , Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"
Starscream
Admiral

Re: My Title shows 26ft yet the brochure says 25ft 10inchs

Post by Starscream »

With a motor attached you'll be well over 26ft....
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

This is ripe for a comment about things being shorter than advertised, but I won’t go there.

Nope.

:D
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Mine was inherited from the PO. It also says 26 on my title the for length. One issue Ive wondered about is USCG regulations as the length cut off at 26ft requires some additional safety equipment. Ive always had over this min level of safety equipment anyway but will need to be careful w expiration dates, ɓatteries in strobe...etc. For enforcement what matters the hull length or what the title says?

uscgboating.org
A BOATER'S GUIDE TO THE FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS ...
uscgboating.org
› images › 420.PDF
PDF
https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Capt Smitty
Deckhand

Post by Capt Smitty »

I think there are towing restrictions over 26 feet. Macgregor got clever with the width, also. Another couple inches either way and you could not tow it behind a car, or a truck without special permits. My title says 25 feet.
-2002-Nissan TLDI 50
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Technically, legally, your X is 25 ft, 10 inches. You will find 26 feet often listed because at some point people are lazy, sloppy, "close enough". ;)

My surname is "Andersson". Want to guess how often it's spelled "Anderson"? 8)

26X technical specs - LOA: 25.82 feet.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/macgregor-26x/
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Two Inches difference

That might be hard to measure anyway. I wouldn't know how to measure a boat accurately to 2 inches. Then you have the motor and rudders that will likely extend quite a bit and depending on how the ranger interprets it might make the boat much longer.

According to the manual BWY create (in the resources page of this site) the length is 30' 3" engine down. Now that's trailer and all.

https://www.macgregorsailors.com/resour ... Manual.pdf
--Russ
JD Gerber

Post by JD Gerber »

I've been told the 25'10" is for insurance reasons as well. My homeowners insurance will cover craft UNDER 26ft for liability. (not comp)
I did a separate policy anyway, it was cheap. 8)
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

The 26X is 25' 10". The "26" is a model number, not a length. I'd recommend trying a different office or a different person in that office.

While not an authoritative source, https://assets.kalkomey.com/boater/pdfs ... ntire.pdf states: "Length is measured from the tip of the bow in a straight line to the stern. This does not include outboard motors, brackets, rudders, bow attachments, or swim platforms and ladders that are not a molded part of the hull." This closely follows the USCG definitions for measuring the length of a boat.

The closest thing I could find with a non-exhaustive search of Texas statutes is in Texas Parks and Wildlife Code 31.003(1) “Boat” means a vessel not more than 65 feet in length, measured from the tip of the bow in a straight line to the stern." https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._ ... ion_31.003

The important thing to note is that it only includes the hull. It does not include anything fastened to the hull like bowsprit, anchor roller, rudders, or outboard. The hull of a 26X is 25' 10". No one would willingly make a 26' boat. It would incur all of the regulatory cost penalties of a 39' 10" boat without any of the benefits.

I really feel for you. I recently had a similar run in with the Florida DMV. The "supervisor" interpreted a document which said "successive" to mean "concurrent" and then decided that the way to fix the problem was to rule that the document in her hand did not exist. :evil:
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Brian
Engineer
Location: Austin, TX 2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506 TLDI 90

Post by Brian »

Welcome to Texas!

I purchased my 26M new in Texas and the title says: LENGTH 25.10

Perhaps if you get a copy of a 26X Texas title that would help?
2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506
TLDI 90
closehaul
Deckhand

Post by closehaul »

I had a similar titling issue in Illinois years ago (2011). Initially applied as a 26' and saw the cost was much higher than a 25'. Resubmitted with below cover letter and title went thru as a 25'. No problems. Be politely firm.

To : IL DNR, Watercraft/Snowmobile Title & Registration Section
Date : 27Jul11

Re : Clarification and Resubmission of Title application

The Macgregor 26X has overall length of 25’-10”. Attached is supporting specification sheet. Original application was rounded up to 26’ but now I see it should have been truncated (length-feet only). Application has been corrected initialed and dated.

All original info is enclosed including IL-DNR return letter for your reference. Please expedite if possible because I am planning a trip to Canada this fall and not sure if Customs will accept the 120 day temporary title.

Best Regards,
Dougiestyle
Engineer

Post by Dougiestyle »

Well I thought about it :? and figured they were going to drag their feet and i would end up paying for the 26' anyway. So I went back to get it done. After talking to them they did say that the motor would also be included in the measurement. So I'm glad its done :)
Dougiestyle
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Dougiestyle wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:49 pm After talking to them they did say that the motor would also be included in the measurement.
And they would be wrong. But you can't fight city hall.

Although I love to fight city hall.
You could point them to the Wiki site. Although why would they not believe the sales brochure from the factory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGregor_26
--Russ
Dougiestyle
Engineer

Post by Dougiestyle »

I went ahead and got the texas title, (be here in 4 to 6 weeks). Not sure what i have to or should do.

So far I will pay an extra $60 a year just because 26 on the title, because of a 2" mistake on the title. Which was given to me by the PO. I have a copy of it.

Now it is in a different class 26' to 40', which throws in more regulations. 2 fire extinguishers, good batteries, and for some reason these might be a start of things to come? From what i see I comply with these. Not sure about towing? Anything else? Feel free to point out anything else please.

Strange my insurance doubled and my agent told me "Its more expensive here in texas". I will check what it is for 25' 10" and get more quotes. I had to get new insurance because my old insurance does not write it in texas.

When I get the title in hand. I like closehauls approach: I might try something similar.

[quoteTo : IL DNR, Watercraft/Snowmobile Title & Registration Section
Date : 27Jul11

Re : Clarification and Resubmission of Title application

The Macgregor 26X has overall length of 25’-10”. Attached is supporting specification sheet. Original application was rounded up to 26’ but now I see it should have been truncated (length-feet only). Application has been corrected initialed and dated.][/quote]
Now that I have been enlightened with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGregor_26, https://assets.kalkomey.com/boater/pdfs ... entire.pdf, https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._ ... es/420.PDF.

I will keep posting any updates.

Thanks all that have already helped.
Dougiestyle
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

It's interesting that 26' is the division in class.

I've heard rumors Roget made it 25'10" to avoid certain classes. Specifically insurance. It also fits in a shipping container. Maybe the 2" would not have fit.

I'm stubborn and would probably fight it. Especially if that tosses me in with boats 60'
--Russ