My Title shows 26ft yet the brochure says 25ft 10inchs

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Dougiestyle
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: My Title shows 26ft yet the brochure says 25ft 10inchs

Post by Dougiestyle »

I'm sure at some point I will proceed with a title change. The local office is like dealing with the Soup nazi from Seinfield.

Looking at another office about 35 miles away. It gets a couple good reviews for ease to work with :o

I need to see if I can do this on-line?

I feel good about the info that people on this site has helped with.
Dougiestyle
1998 26X , Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Dougiestyle wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:51 am The local office is like dealing with the Soup nazi from Seinfield.
Reminds me of dealing with the New Jersey DMV. I wonder how they screen to hire these people.
--Russ
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

It's been my experience that the state regulators tend to follow the USCG length classifications for taxes and state-specific regulations. It is not a coincidence that your boat is just under 26' in length just as every 16' boat I've ever owned was actually 15' 10".

Class A Less than 16 feet
Class 1 16 feet to less than 26 feet
Class 2 26 feet to less than 40 feet
Class 3 40 feet to less than 65 feet

Safety and environmental regulations get progressively more strict as the boat goes up in length. You will likely save yourself some grief going forward if you can get your boat back into the right class.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

:D :D :D
Dougiestyle wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:51 am The local office is like dealing with the Soup nazi from Seinfield.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Have fun with that u need to study & learn how the system works ! , then play it so as it works for U ! :wink:

J 8)
caffel

Post by caffel »

Go to sailboatdata.com. print out the pages for your model. Add this authoritative source to your proof of the true length.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Even when you do EVERYTHING right on your part there Will always be the possibility that a clerk (probably related to your Clerk) somewhere in the system will bolix it up.....
When registering our "new to us" Transit T-150 van that was previous to us customized by Explorer Van Conversions, a professional van Conversion Company, from an original from the factory 2018 cargo van into a 7 passenger custom travel van the clerk on his own decide that our van must be a Pick-up Truck and designated it as a F-150 Crew Cab on the new title!!!! :D :D this is regardless of all the prior registrations and paperwork.

Now, because the dealership took care of all the title transfer paperwork its a paper chase FUBAR to get sorted out....AND we will have to physically go to a State DMV inspection center to have the frame and engine numbers physically validated by a State Inspector...Fribble..... Glad we have a sense of humor :D :D :D :D

Berst Regards,
Over Easy :D :D
Dougiestyle
Engineer

Post by Dougiestyle »

I finally made it by the Texas parks and wildlife office in Corpus Christi and they were more receptive to this problem. She wondered why I came to corpus and I explained about the soup nazi's in Rockport (She agreed with this, apparently they have had some issues :o ).

She asked if I could get a certificate of compliance, which there is no way. That would have solved it all right there.
I showed her all the documents I had: The 26X original brochure, Wikipedia, and Sailboat data. All showing the boat is less than 26ft. Then I showed her their TP&W Handbook of Texas boating laws and responsibilities. She agreed that something needs to be done about this error on the title :).

Now she tells me I have to get the boat measured by a ranger in Rockport that she personally knows the ranger, because she worked with her in the corpus office. She called the ranger that will do the measuring after I left, like she said she would.

About 2 hours later I received a call from the ranger, and explained the situation. Then she wanted to do some due diligence on measuring the boat properly and expediate the whole situation 8) . She called me back yesterday and told me to go to the Rockport office, and talk to the girl on the right side when you walk in(I did this immediately) and give her a copy's of all the documentation that I had, to generate paperwork so they can send a ranger out to measure the boat 8) . Apparently the ranger had talked to the 2 ladies up front about the situation, because they told me they had never told me that they measure the boat with bolted on items (yes they did but that's water under the bridge), like the motor, bow pulpit and any other bolt on stuff should not be part of this measurement.

So anyway the ranger is busy next week, but will call me as soon as she can get to it, probably the following week she said.

Now it will be interesting to see how the boat is measured :? and still remain under 26ft. as according to all the documents.
Maybe I will get photos of this. stay tuned I will let ya'll know.
Dougiestyle
1998 26X , Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I’ll be right here waiting.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Bolt on items should not be part of the HULL. Unbelievable....wait...it's DMV....believable.
--Russ
Piddle and Futz
Engineer

Post by Piddle and Futz »

I'm in Texas as well. Our :macm: is exactly 25' 10" on the registration.
You are correct with respect to requirement, insurance, and slip fee benefits to having it considered as a 25' vs 26'.
Perhaps worth having your registration corrected to the official length from the manufacturer.
FWIW, the registration forms just say "Length" and I could find no clarification as to if this means LOA or LWL. Safer assumption is LOA.
On my rig, I don't think the outboard makes the boat any longer than the rudders.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Perhaps worth sending him a notarized copy of your registration? 8)
Piddle and Futz wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:57 pm I'm in Texas as well. Our :macm: is exactly 25' 10" on the registration.
Epiphany25+
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by Epiphany25+ »

Interesting. The title for my 1983 Mac swing keel shows 25', but I can find no 25' swing keels, just 26' swing keels. I don't have a brochure, bought it used in Key Largo in 2004. Working on restore to sail it around Englewood Florida - Pete
Wyb2
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by Wyb2 »

Epiphany25+ wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:42 pm Interesting. The title for my 1983 Mac swing keel shows 25', but I can find no 25' swing keels, just 26' swing keels. I don't have a brochure, bought it used in Key Largo in 2004. Working on restore to sail it around Englewood Florida - Pete
The Mac 25 was a cast iron swing keel and was in production in 1983. Mine’s an ‘86.

https://macgregorsailors.com/resources/ ... ochure.pdf

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/macgregor-25/
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

The suspense is killing me…..
Did the clerks give the ok for the ranger to come out? 🤔
Did the ranger get there?🤔
How did the ranger measure it? LOA? LOWWL?🤔
Did the registration get updated?🤔