Pedestal leak at the base

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Post Reply
Prospect
Chief Steward
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:10 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Toronto ON

Pedestal leak at the base

Post by Prospect »

I found that my 26m leaks at the base of the pedestal. Last year I used silicone to seal the area but because the pedestal is free to move the fix didn't last. Anyone have a recommendation on how to better stop the leak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
45Plus+
Deckhand
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:42 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Re: Pedestal leak at the base

Post by 45Plus+ »

I am about to remove the pedestal to get the BWY new-and-improved steering cable in. Apart from the fear of having pieces everywhere and uncertainty about how it should all go back together, the seal at the bottom of the pedestal has been on my mind too since I will very likely be breaking the original.

Looking forward to helpful responses to your post.
OverEasy
Admiral
Posts: 2193
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:16 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: NH & SC

Re: Pedestal leak at the base

Post by OverEasy »

Forget the Silicone crud. It won’t last and will end up like Fido’s chew toy in addition to leaking while being hard to remove.

On our Mac26X pedestal penetrations we made tight fit raised through collars from PVC fittings and then sealed up with 3M 5200 sealant.
I don’t see why that wouldn’t work on your M.

For what it’s worth here’s the process of what we did….
As with any sealant surface, absolute cleanliness is the key!!!
I used solvent and a stiff nylon brush to get ALL the gunk off.
I split the PVC (that fit the OD somewhat like you have) fitting in half with a razor cutter to make a clam shell.
With the clam shells held in place I then traced the OD on the deck.
Removed the clam shells and trimmed through the top deck surface with a carbide Drexel bit.
Then carefully slipped the clam shells to penetrate the top deck surface and a bit more.
Sealed up all the surfaces with 5200 as I went and clamped the shells together with a good SST HD band clamp.
Made a nice smooth fillet radii with a wide popsicle stick end at deck to clamshells and at the top of the clamshells to pipe.

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Post Reply