Outboard Motor Mount

Published date: July 9, 2017
  • Boat Type: Boat Type

The previous owner of my 26D mounted the outboard to a retractable mount on the transom because he was a racer and wanted to make sure that the motor was completely out of the water. Unfortunately, wince I'm only 5'7", that put the outboard completely out of my reach when in the down and back position! I needed to mount the outboard in the original outboard well so that I could use it.
When I removed the retractable mount, I discovered that he had not bedded the bolts through the transom. The plywood insert glassed into the transom was rotted around them. Also, Roger M had not done anyone any favors when he "sealed" the inner liner to the transom by gluing on a bit of weatherstripping like material and riveting it in place-I had a rear Lazarette full of water every time it rained.
I started by clearing out the rotted plywood around the mount holes with a 1" Forstner bit, down to the inner fiberglass. I then covered the holes inside the lazarette with glass and resin and filled the outer holes with epoxy.
I removed the cracked and broken fiberglass weatherstrip stuff and cleared out the remains of the plywood spacer between the inner liner and the transom (this was only held in by wood screws from inside the outboard motor well). I cut and shaped a new spacer from exterior plywood, wrapped it in fiberglass and glassed it in place from inside the lazerette. Also from inside the lazerette, I sealed up the space between the liner and the transom with glass and resin. This left a space around the motor well that I filled from outside with chopped glass and epoxy until it was high enough that I could shape it to the original contour. Finally I added 2 more layers of glass and resin to the outside.
Since I hate painting and filling (and am no good at it!) I formed 2 pieces of .032" stainless steel to cover all of the holes and repairs on both the inside of the motor well and the transom. It needed to be 2 pieces, overlapping at the lip of the motor well, because the lip edges are not parallel, and I could not bend a compound angle. The Stainless and the attaching screws are completely bedded with 3M 5200.
Finally, I cut Rogers weatherstripping to cover the repairs I had made, painted it and installed it with epoxy adhesive.
No more leaks, the transom is as strong as new, and I can use the outboard!

Published by: Maraquita


Model Year: 1989
Photo Caption: Starting the project

Stainless Installed

Final Product

Share

Useful information

  • Perform modifications at your own risk
  • Fully research modifications before performing yourself
  • All mods are listed as is with no waranty
  • This site does not make any claims about the validity or safety of modifications posted.

Related Mods

  • Steering Connector and Drainage Holes
    Steering Connector and Drainage Holes
    Motor - - December 1, 2019

    This picture shows the custom-built connector from the steering system to the engine. We started with a connector from the dealer, but it didn't fit right. We had a welder build a new one, and it works great! We leave the engine and rudders both conn...

  • Gas Tanks - Installation & Draining
    Gas Tanks - Installation & Draining
    Motor - - December 1, 2019

    Note gas tanks on either side - these were there when I bought the boat. I believe they are 9 gallon tanks. The past owner had do some minor cutting to the openings to get them in. From there, he cut holes in the seat, put those plastic screw plugs i...

  • Transom Outboard Mount
    Transom Outboard Mount
    Motor - - March 2, 2014

    Added a transom outboard motor mount to carry a 5 HP LEHR Dinghy kicker and backup to the 50 HP Yamaha. Making the mounting block between the transom and mounting bracket was the challenge. I built a Dam Mold on the transom made of cardboard, taped &...